Dead Garmin 800

earth
earth Posts: 934
edited May 2016 in Workshop
Got caught in rain for a few hours today and the Garmin got water in the USB and SD card slot despite the rubber seals being closed. It has come out with various messages about ports not connected correctly and it will not charge or connect when the USB is plugged in. It also stopped reading the map while out on the ride. I've had it for a couple of years now. Any thoughts on whether it will dry out or if Garmin will sort it out if I return it to them?

Comments

• Shuggy76
    Shuggy76 Posts: 91
    This kinda happened to me a few months ago after being caught in a torrential downpour. I just popped it in a jar of rice, put into the airing cupboard, 24 hours later, it came back to life. No idea if this'll work for you, but worth a try??

Cheers
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    I've had this twice with my Edge 800. I work in IT and have access to Isopropyl contact cleaner and air dusters and this seemed to work for me by cleaning the contacts a little.

I now usually lock the screen and put mine in my pocket with it's raining hard.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • earth
    I think I've got it going. I forgot I have contact cleaner and air spray tucked away in a cupboard. Thanks.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The key is not to put a current through it while its still wet. The usb port is waterproof but while wet it will short out contacts if you plug it in... Dont plug it in until properly dry.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Handy tear down video as well, its for a battery change an the guy sounds stoned but shows you how to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVkkYNyednY
  • earth
    Well the memory card socket has current going through it while the unit is on. There is no escaping that if you get caught out in rain unless you turn the thing off. Not exactly waterproof.

I did get it going again but it got wet again today and I'm having the same problems. Now it charges but does not connect to the PC for upload of data. But to make matters worse, the contact cleaner and air duster seem to have effected the rubber seals. Now they don't close properly, like the rubber has perished prematurely.

Getting really fed up with this overpriced tat. Is it possible to buy replacement seals? I see there is another thread along the same lines - not surprising really. Maybe one of the silicone covers but I want one that completely covers the ports. I can always take it out of the cover to charge and upload. Although that will make the device bigger and I don't think it will fit in the out-in-front mount because the gap between the device and the bars is barely millimetres.