Dropper cable past BB

kickaxe
kickaxe Posts: 446
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Alright, so my Giant dropper post arrived today and I already took it apart and set it up for internal routing, now the problem is getting it through the frame. This is on my Giant Trance, which requires the cable to go past the bb. Due to not having the tools to remove my cranks and to remove my bb, I thought it might just be easier and faster (I'd love to have it running by Thursday) to go to a lbs and have them take out the cranks and bb? Then I would stick the cable up into the seat tube, let them put it back together, and then ride home holding the remote (cable still too long). Any other good ideas for getting it done by Thursday?

Thanks
-Cube Acid 29" 2013
-A new Giant Trance 3 2015!

Comments

• BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Buy some tools from the lbs and do it yourself and no doubt cheaper. Good chance the workshop could booked up past Thursday.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • kickaxe
    I assume I could figure out how to get the BB out with a mallet and some wood, what exactly do I need for removing the cranks? The are shimano cranks with a pressfit BB.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Assuming it's hollowtech 2 then works in a similar way to a headset system.

One of these to remove the end cap

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-crank-install-tool-hollowtech-ii/rp-prod3785

Then undo the Allen bolts on the non drive side, pop the arm off and tap the spindle through.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • kickaxe
    Thanks for your help guys, over on Pinkbike some other Trance owners told me they had managed without removing anything, so I tried it again. Sure enough after a half an hour of trial and error I got it through, then it took me another half hour to get it out of the hole at the top.

Well, it's sorted, even though it took a while. I still appreciate your help!
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013