Slipping cassette

Ibaz
Ibaz Posts: 37
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all.
First post please be gentle!

I have an old Raleigh Mtrax HT2. It's my spare bike but it is good fun to ride. I've just dragged it out of the shed.
I've just fitted a new chain and cassette just an off the shelf Halfords jobbie - sufficient for this bike. The problem is every now and again, for no aparent reason when I'm pedling the cassette just turns on the hub with no drive - then it will catch again and all is fine.
You can see the splines it slides onto spining seperatly to the hub.
Any ideas?
Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Remove the freehub (the bit the cassette slides onto) and clean up the pawls and ratchet, reassemble.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ibaz
    So after a bit of spanner work. It seems the free hub does not come apart and has no id marking so apart from being circa 1998/99 I can't identify it. Hopefully my local shop can or it will be a new wheel.
  • The Rookie
    The freehub almost certainly does come off, if it's cartridge bearing it usually just slides off, if it's cup,and cone you remove the axle and then unscrew the freehub retainer with a large Allen key up the inside of the hub.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ibaz
    Thanks all.
    I've got the free hub off but not even Raleigh can tell me what the replacement is. So for the sake of speed i've ordered a new wheel. If I find a hub to fit then I'll have a spare.
    Thanks again.
  • The Rookie
    Have you found what is wrong, sometimes its just a case of cleaning out the gunge in the pawl and spring sets and engagement ring thoroughly and then lightly greasing before reassembly.