Garmin Edge Touring mapping question

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
When using the garmin edge touring as you would use a vehicle sat nav - does it put onto quieter roads ? - if just going to direct through town or down 'a' roads then it won't be much good for what I want ?

Any advice ?

Comments

• animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    I've got one.

Garmin have decided which roads you're "safe" on and which you're not, so plans the route accordingly.
    Gets frustrating when you plan a lovely coast ride of c. 50k and it takes you miles out of your way because the first few miles are on an A road.

I plan in advance and upload, works much better.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Animal72 wrote:
    I've got one.

Garmin have decided which roads you're "safe" on and which you're not, so plans the route accordingly.
    Gets frustrating when you plan a lovely coast ride of c. 50k and it takes you miles out of your way because the first few miles are on an A road.

I plan in advance and upload, works much better.

Likewise I turn off the auto route options, it's great a following a route less so at one its made. And to be honest I like making routes since I like maps!
  • Jay_Forme
    Jay_Forme Posts: 132
    i have had mine a while now, while i love it, i also hate it. how many times can one unit find me a dirt track or a farm entrance which actually goes knowwhere.

unless you really pin point your route via the desktop you get all kinds of mix ups.