Trek Remedy 9.9 29er

BloggingFit
BloggingFit Posts: 919
edited May 2016 in Your mountain bikes
Having decided to move on from my Nomad I was initially looking to replace it with a Santa Cruz 5010 v2 or Hightower but I have always had an itch for a Remedy 29er so after selling a few bits on I ordered up a 2016 Remedy 9.9 29er carbon frame. The geometry and sizing looked pretty good for me and from owning the 27.5" version before I knew it would be pretty capable but also cover ground very well. Being a 29er I felt it should only improve these traits.

Frame arrived Thursday along with a Fork and Cranks that couldn't be reused and bike was built up yesterday.

p4pb13441997.jpg

Will get some built pictures up soon but current spec is below with the wheels to change out soon:

Frame: Trek Remedy 9.9 29er 18.5"
Fork: Rockshox Pike 160mm DPA RC3
Shock: Fox Evol Re:Activ Kashima
Wheels: DTSwiss Spline 1700 Boost
Tyres: Bontrager XR1 2.35 Team Issue Tubeless
Headset: FSA Internal
Stem: RaceFace Atlas
Handlebar: RaceFace SIXC
Grips: Santa Cruz Palmdale
Crankset: SRAM XO1 175mm Cinch with Absolute Black 36t Oval Ring
Rear Mech: Shimano XTR 11 Speed
Cassette: SRAM XO1 11 Speed
Chain: Shimano 11 Speed
Shifter: Shimano XTR 11 Speed
Brakes: Shimano XTR Trail, 160mm Rotors
Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb 125mm Drop
Saddle: Bontrager Evoke Carbon

I'm currently using wheels, cassette, rotors and tyres from my hardtail at the moment until I get a dedicated set built up which also dictated my Fork choice a little bit. I needed to go with a Boost option and retain the G2 geometry which ruled out going with a Fox 36 while the Pike 150mm was only available in white so ended up with the 160mm DPA version which isn't the end of the world. Going non Boost up front seemed pointless as I wouldn't be able to interchange wheels across bikes. Having ridden on the fork this morning I'm happy with its performance so far.

Cranks were the other limiting factor due to Trek using PF95 for its BB widths so sold on my SIXC cranks and went with SRAM XO1 which are almost the same weight and fit with a GXP PF BB. Been wanting to try out an oval ring for a while so figured now was a good time to try.

Having gone out on it this morning I'm really happy with the fit and feel of the bike. Very lively and likes to jump and pop manuals which surprised me a little given its wheel size - it doesn't feel like a big 29er to ride at all which has impressed me already. The new Fox Evol shock is also very impressive and a huge step up form the old Trek DRCV shocks from before. The Re:Active system I've ridden on before without the Evol can and remains impressive giving a great pedal platform when you need it but instantly changes to cope with big hits.

The Pike also performed well and although I noticed the extra length on some steeper climbs it wasn't an issue. I didn't try out the DPA switch as yet but will probably try it out at some point. I think on balance as a trail bike it would suit a 150mm Fork better but the 160mm feels very good going downhill and wasn't causing an issue else where with steering flop.
Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL

Comments

• Can't wait to see the final outcome,looks very promising.
  • chrisdouglas
    chrisdouglas Posts: 114
    You've produced some fine bikes and threads to have a read of on here mate so I doubt this will be any different. Looking forward to seeing the build :D
    2013 Kona HeiHei - 29 Life

http://www.lakesrider.weebly.com
  • BloggingFit
    Got some quick photos done of the build as it is at the moment. Will get some better ones once wheels arrive and are on.

p4pb13482079.jpg

p4pb13482081.jpg

p4pb13482084.jpg

p4pb13482086.jpg

With a few more rides on the bike I'm left feeling really impressed by how quick it covers ground downhill, across flat single track/tech trails and of course uphill. The biggest feeling is that it doesn't feel like riding a big 29er at all. Very nimble, can throw it around where I want, loves to jump, no problem with switchbacks. When things get quicker and rougher it just looks to plough through but also has the ability to pop and change line at a whim.

Weight currently comes in at 26.2lbs with pedals.

The main limiting factor right now is the wheel and tyre combo where I'm already at the limit of what these can handle right now letting go when pushed. Looking to forwards to seeing what the bike can do once the intended set arrive.
  • BloggingFit
    Hubs arrived in the week and looking good. Photo doesn't do them justice TBH but they look the part and seem well put together. Can feel the 120 point engagement in the Freehub and should make for an interesting noise. Already have matching Pillar nipples and just waiting on rims to arrive.

p4pb13502992.jpg