"Bespoke" Shoes

fatdaz
fatdaz Posts: 348
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
A mate of mine is getting into cycling and is struggling to find shoes that work for him. He's looking for somebody that can custom make or modify cycling shoes to fit as he has one leg shorter than the other. Currently he is using a plastic insert in one shoe but it's causing circulation issues and pain in his foot so ideally he's looking for something better. Does anybody know of a person or company who can make or modify shoes to order?

Comments

• dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    You could try here for a complete bike fit;
    http://www.thebikewhisperer.co.uk/

A heat moldable shoe with custom insoles and cleat shims might also be an option.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Custom shoes are overkill. Depending on the length discrepancy - either cleat risers, or a shorter crank arm on one side.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    Cheers - I had no idea cleat shims existed, they look ideal
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    Adrian Timmis at Cadence sport is highly regarded as are Cyclefit. How much is the discrepancy? mm can be rectified by shim(s) and an insole. Any more and it may be different crank lengths. Heat mouldable is just that, the shoe fits to the foot but it doesn't add something to leg length - it cant replace what isn't there
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Mouldable insoles is the way to go. No need to get custom shoes made (not that I know any can anyway)

Since his problem is mainly with leg length then I agree with others to just add shim.

If you go for cleat I recommend to go for Speed Play. With their cleat you can add shims underneath the shoe to compensate for different leg length. I think that will work for your mate very well.