C24's or 35's

romany
romany Posts: 22
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
I am looking into buying some new wheels upgrading from the Macic Askium's that came with my bike. I have seen the Shimano RS81 C24 and C35 but am not sure which ones to get. I know it means one rim is 24 deep and one is 35 deep but what does that mean in riding terms. I will be riding with my friends hoping to build up distances but no races or anything like that purely for enjoyment but am really scratching my head as to which ones to get.Are these a good upgrade over the Askiums or does someone recommend another set.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Why not use the search feature, type in something like "wheels" as you will be amazed how many times this subject has come up recently and the vast majority are pretty much the same thing, upgrading from basic wheels and what the options are. IME, the Aksiums are ok wheels but no lightweights. You won't get a big bang going up to a £300 set but it will be worth doing when you get the Mavic death squeal.

FWIW, the RS81/DA wheels are beginning to look a bit dated in terms of rim width although the hubs are excellent by any standard, Ultegra for RS and DA for, errm, the DA ones (which does mean the hubs will generally outlive the rims by a long way...not that it matters as you have to bin them).
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    BTW, you already have one thread open on this one, no point starting another...

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13063674
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    There is a lot more to wheels than you may initially think.

TO answer your specific question, 35's will be a bit heavier and a bit more aerodynamic than 24's. This may be alightly better for you or slightly worse for you depending on your particular riding. IMO the 35's will also look a bit better - but that may be personal.

If buying now, you may want to consider wider rims and also consider whether you may want tubeless tyres at some point.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    C24s are probably one of the best all-round wheels out there. C35 clinchers with the alloy brake track are great if appearance is more important to you than weight.

Too many apostrophes, by the way...