Giant MPH Brake Adjuster Not Working

mike1983
mike1983 Posts: 3
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I got my old MTB out of the garage recently. It's been in there for years without use. I have the intention of getting it ready for use this summer so we can enjoy some of the weather. The bike's in need of some TLC of course, but the main problem I have is with the brakes.

They're Giant MPH hydraulic disc brakes, and the pad distance adjusters are jammed. I have tried forcing them and I can turn the adjusters with a lot of effort, but nothing happens at the other end - no pad movement at all - even after several rotations of the adjusters.

The front brake is usable at present (adjuster not working, but pads are in the correct place), but the pads on the back are way to far from the rotor, and have a lot of travel before they hit the rotor. When they do reach the rotor, the stopping power seems good, so I think the bleed I did earlier went fine. I just need to be able to use the adjuster so the pads are closer to the rotor.

Not sure if I need to buy new adjusters (any tips on replacing would be appreciated) or if I need to go to my LBS (I'd rather do the work myself if possible).

Many thanks in advance, Mike

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Those brakes are hopeless.
    You will be better off replacing them with a set of Deore brakes. Merlin have them for £90 inc. rotors or £62.50 without rotors.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    +1 - those adjusters always seize up - that brake technology is ancient - get rid as they will only giver u problems
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Once fixed some MPH for a friend, we needed to use a 12" adjustable and some old alloy bars to clamp the brakes onto, freed them off after about an hour and lots of ammonia cleaner (dissolves almunium oxide better than anything else).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mike1983
    mike1983 Posts: 3
    Thanks a lot everyone for the input, I had a feeling replacement might be recommended, I never had an easy time with these brakes.