Upgrade recommendations - Transition Bottlerocket

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
I've been thinking about swapping the Bottlerocket for something a little more modern with upto date geometry, but I can't seem to forget how much fun it is to ride. So upgrades....how can I make it ride even better without spending a huge amount of cash?

Frame - Transition Bottlerocket
Rear shock - Fox DHX Air 5.0
Fork - Rockshox Revelation 150mm
Wheels - Pacenti CL23 /Superstar switch
Stem - On-One CNC 50mm
Bars - Superstar 780mm
Grips - Superstar Half flange
Brakes - Shimano SLX
Shifter - Shimano Zee
Cranks - Shimano Zee
Chainring - Superstar I/O 34t
Derailleur - Shimano SLX 10sp clutch
Cassette - Sram PG1030
Chain - Sram
Seat post - ks lev integra
Seat clamp - Superstar
Seat - Selle italia
Tyres - On-One Chunky Monkey Trail 2.4"

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    only thing worth doing would be forks and shock. Push tune the shock and get a newer fork thats stiffer and better damped. for a more modern fork with a tappered steerer you'll have to fit an external cup headset.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/BlogImag ... dsheet.pdf

you can get a mattoc pro from CRC for £385 and the push tune and service is £165
  • cubedean
    POAH wrote:
    only thing worth doing would be forks and shock. Push tune the shock and get a newer fork thats stiffer and better damped. for a more modern fork with a tappered steerer you'll have to fit an external cup headset.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/BlogImag ... dsheet.pdf

you can get a mattoc pro from CRC for £385 and the push tune and service is £165

Already running a tapered steerer so just a straight swap. Mattoc seem to be getting good reviews.

Thoughts on a vorsprung corset over push tune?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    do you think you need the change in air spring? not all bikes need or indeed work well with the increase in negative air spring. you could phone tftuned tomorrow and ask their advice.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A decent coil shock and stiffer fork will transform the bike. Bottlerockets are awesome, still as good as anything more modern.
  • cubedean
    A decent coil shock and stiffer fork will transform the bike. Bottlerockets are awesome, still as good as anything more modern.

Thanks, the main thing that has put me off a coil is that the BR is not very efficient at going up & air with lockout/propedal really helps.

Saying that I've never ridden a coil so it may not react in the same way?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Cane Creek do a coil with climb switch.
    The DHX air was never a very good shock, probably not worth tuning. A Monarch Plus or Cane Creek DB air or Fox Float X would be much better.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lots of good air options as RMSC says, you don't need a switchable shock, just a quality pedal platform.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.