Pedals & toe clips

lincolndave
lincolndave Posts: 9,441
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
I am buying a new bike in 3 weeks time, a giant rapid 1, it comes with some well let's say second rate pedals, can anyone recommend some good pedals and toe clips,
I don't want to go down the clip in pedals and shoes route
Thanks

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Just get some cheap toe clips and pedals. Chances are you'll want to go clipless eventually anyway.

(and if you do up your straps - then good luck getting out of those in a hurry. Clip in pedals are MUCH easier and safer)
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    The best are metal clips, leather straps, and rat traps (or some of the old racing platforms that Campag, Shimano and others used to do). Make sure they're the right size for your feet. MKS are good. The only potential issue is that all of this somewhat assumes that you're using suitable shoes - eg trainers with mesh uppers can get a bit shredded; if you must cycle in these, leather covered/plastic clips, or Power Grips, might be better.

And you should be able to get your foot out, even if you've cinched your strap up - I've never had a problem.
  • lungdoc
    lungdoc Posts: 1
    To each their own of course, although I have a hard time imagining a scenario where I'd want toe clips in the modern era. One possible alternate - pedals with platform one side and SPD on the other. Gives option of SPD shoes for longer rides (and lots of SPD options including sandals and very walkable shoes) and regular shoes for shorter rides or where you don't want to bother.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Thanks for the replies , I have tried clip less pedals in the past and cannot get on with them to be truthful, I prefer toe clips , with not riding for the past 5 years I just wondered which makes of clips are preferred , obviously everyone is in favour of going clip less
    I will have a look at the MKS models, thanks once again