Some accessories recommendations?

core00
core00 Posts: 169
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
Any suggestions regarding mudguards and helmets? guards are probably not so expensive but does anyone have any recommendations? As for the helmet probably not very expensive but have good protection same goes to pads.

Would be looking for water bags too unless they are all pretty much similar part from brands and capacity.

More likely going to order it online or evans is fairly close to where I am.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For a decent cheap hydration pack, Tesco direct do a good one, or Muddyfox via Sports Direct.

Mudguards, ugly and nasty on an MTB, I just use a butt fender and fork arch Enduro guard.

Helmets, Decathlon have a good range, fit is more important than anything else!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Mucky nutz do some cheap guards for fork or seat.

I've a mudhugger on the front of my bike as prefer the fit of this and avoid fork stanchions from getting scratched up.

Try places like go outdoors for a hydration pack.
  • core00
    The Rookie wrote:
    For a decent cheap hydration pack, Tesco direct do a good one, or Muddyfox via Sports Direct.

Mudguards, ugly and nasty on an MTB, I just use a butt fender and fork arch Enduro guard.

Helmets, Decathlon have a good range, fit is more important than anything else!

Meh :P that's what I meant fenders not guards haha.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Decathlon do exactly the same mudguards as MuckyNutz for a quarter of the price.
  • core00
    What's the difference between the hybrid and mtb helmet? I'm checking some now and saw hybrid and mtb specific :/ now im confuse.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    MTB helmet probably has a bit better airflow and looks a bit more "rad"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure what a Hyrid helmet is!

A road helmet will have more gaps for airflow and tend to cover a little less of your noggin as the way you crash and what you are likely to hit is a bit more predictable, MTB helmets are fuller covering with smaller vents to stop 'stuff' poking through the holes into your noggin.

I have a Boardman road helmet for commuting and a Giro for MTBing and a Decathlon branded one I keep in our overseas office for road riding.

I get hot and sweaty whatever I wear, but then I get sweaty in almost any circumstances!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    core00 wrote:
    What's the difference between the hybrid and mtb helmet? I'm checking some now and saw hybrid and mtb specific :/ now im confuse.

MTB helmets often come further down at the back and have a little more coverage on the sides. The stuff we hit tends to be more unpredictable than flat tarmac. I'd also guess that we throw more interesting shapes when we come off than the average roadie, given the strange angles we take in when we ride.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607