road bike comparison and giant sizing

mstrmind5
mstrmind5 Posts: 45
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
deciding between giant defy 1 2015 and cannondale synpase disc 105 2014, both used and well looked after.

am going to try them out in the next few days to see which is the better fit, condition and price, but appreciate feedback from owners or those with knowledge of either bike to help me with my decision.

the cannondale, 58cm, statistically speaking is the right size for my dimensions - 6'1" height and 34" inside leg. regarding the giant sizing guide, I'm eligible/on the border for either a ml or l size. for my above dimensions what MIGHT be the right size? I am going to try out both bikes before I consider buying, but the giant size advice will help for future reference.

thanks.

Comments

• gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    edited May 2016
    i think the cannonade 58 will be very close to the large defy in terms of sizing. although cannonade comes with ALOT more spacers maybe even ~ 25cm more vertical above head tube..

if you feel you could be lower and a little more stretched out, the m/l will do that.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    This might help, though if you are going to try both sizes you will known which one fits you best. viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12882623&hilit=Defy+sizing

Just realised they are both S.H. what size is the Defy?
  • mstrmind5
    mstrmind5 Posts: 45
    the defy is a ml
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    You may need to use a longer stem and/or flip the stem into the positive position on the M/L Defy, depends on your reach and whether you think the Defy is too low at the front with a 19.0cm Head Tube as opposed to the Synapse 58cm 20.8cm Head Tube.

Synapse 58cm
    Stack 61.1cm
    Reach 39.4cm

Defy M/L
    Stack 58.6cm
    Reach 38.1cm
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    I have a CAADX in 61cm and a Defy in XL

I'd say I might just be able to fit a CAADX in 58cm but only just.

Centre of BB to top of saddle is 827mm after retul fit. I'm 6ft 5" and wear 34" inside leg (for what that's worth!)

I'd say a Large Giant would be closer to the mark for you but you'd be better sitting on them if you could.