Broken carbon fiber

newbiehants
newbiehants Posts: 4
edited May 2016 in Road beginners
Hi I've not been cycling long but I bought a bike from a friend I've none for many years . I've not long had the bike , not even sure what brand it is but I know that seat stay section at the back was carbon . Last week I cycled to the gym, finished up went to collet my bike. I had locked the bike with two cables one around the front wheels and frame one around the bank wheels and frame. As soon as I got near I could see the frame leaning over, on closer inspection it looks like someone had pulled the bike against the cable completely destroying one arm of the carbon seat stay. It's still in one pice but it looks shattered. So my question is can it be repaired?
Can I trust a repair?
Roughly how much?
Roughly how much would it cost to get a whole new carbon seat stay fitted?
If not what can I do with a bike that I now worthless??
Sorry it sounds vague but I'm at work and not with the bike?
Thanks

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Yep, easy repair, contact fibrelyte or HQ fibre. Probably less than 100 quid. Repair will be perfectly strong.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    It would be best to take pictures and contact a repair shop like;
    http://www.carboncyclerepairs.co.uk/index.html
    http://www.carbonbikerepair.co.uk/

Good luck with it.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Another recommendation for Fibrelyte in Stokesley, N. Yorks. They'd be able to repair it no probs.
  • Thanks for the replies, I'm gunna have to get some quotes! If more than £100 I'll try and flog it!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    This all sounds a bit dodgy. You don't even know the make of the bike you have ?

Hmmmmmm
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    oxoman wrote:
    Can whole heartedly recommend carboncyclerepairs, just down the road from where I live. A few mates have used them, and are really happy with the repairs. He will never repair something that he feels is not feasible or safe to do so.
    I would greatly recommend them too. They did a broken seat stay for me, no-one can find the repair , and the frame is perfectly jigged up. You would be amazed at the frames he has in and from which teams and manufacturers.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Thanks for the replies, I'm gunna have to get some quotes! If more than £100 I'll try and flog it!
    Best of luck. I can't imagine that folk will be beating a trail to your door to buy a broken carbon frame, it's a case get it repaired or throw it in a skip.
  • AS i said i was at work, I'm new to road cycling, the bike was almost effectively given to me from a friend. If it was a stolen bike , which i guess you are insinuating , i would of had it up on eBay/ gum tree by now , i certainly wouldn't be on this forum looking at how much its worth, that's what Google's for! Ive been on this forum only a few days, searching for advice / assistance and i keep coming across accusations of people "obliviously selling a stolen bike" hmmmmm!
    I'm a member of several outdoor pursuits forum's ( uk riverguide book,ukclimbing etc..) , but this is the first one where every other reply, accuses the other of theft!! I understand how expensive bikes can get, i understand how expensive kayaks can get , but this forum is ridiculous, especially on the " road beginners section" .
    To the other replies ill start getting quotes, thanks.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm sure you're perfectly above board. Its just that if someone had snapped a seat stay wrenching a bike free from a lock - they'd be asking pretty much the same things.

Bikes are very sellable - and sadly there is a lot of theft out there. Looks like you were almost the victim too ?
    I have kayaks too - but theft is much less of a problem. Bugger to transport and tiny market to resell.

CF isn't that brittle that it accidentally breaks like that - probably someone made a concerted effort to get at yours ?
    If you get it fixed - lock it through the main triangle.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    ukclimbing might not accuse you of stealing but just about anything else.