Lightweight rider lightweight bike?

Knight987
Knight987 Posts: 5
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I'm in a quandary. I am only 62kg and was wondering as I like to go relatively hard downhill can I get away with a cross country bike or do I need an enduro? Obviously I would prefer not to be hauling a heavier bike uphill but don't know if the cross country bike could take the pounding going down. Would my weight allow me to ride lighter ?

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    its not about the weight of the bike but the geo. XC bike is designed to climb quickly.

what is your budget
  • Knight987
    POAH wrote:
    its not about the weight of the bike but the geo. XC bike is designed to climb quickly.

what is your budget

£4K Max. Want full susser and I am an all rounder who wants to climb fast and descend fast. XC do the job for a 62kg rider?
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Knight987 wrote:
    POAH wrote:

what is your budget

£4K Max. Want full susser and I am an all rounder who wants to climb fast and descend fast. XC do the job for a 62kg rider?

As he Said, it's not the weight that determines how a bike rides, it's more the geometry (meaning, the sitting position, how stretched out you are, etc.)
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Knight987
    [/quote][/list]
    Knight987 wrote:
    Hi all,

Appreciate your comments guys. I raced road and MTB for several years so totally understand what you're saying. Unfortunately my time racing MTBs was when suspension forks were just coming on the scene so as you can imagine I'm clueless as to what a full susser can cope with. I'm not looking to race DH just want to know if a XC will break if a lightweight like me was to treat it a little rough. Any ideas folks ?
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    An XC will not break under you, unless you ride off a 30 foot drop to flat. The problem these days isn't really the strength of the frame, it's more what the bike is designed for. Bikes that are designed to go both downhill and uphill will go downhill better than XC bikes.

Check out the Giant Anthem SX or the Giant Trance, both great bikes. I've got the trance and was really surprised when I got it because it literally climbed as well as my hardtail.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
  • Knight987
    oxoman wrote:
    Trance or Anthem SX, I'm no lightweight and hammer my Anthem big style so you won't break it easily.
    Thanks Guys. Looks like Giant's a strong favourite.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Transition Scout would be ideal for what you want.
    An xc bike will be useless on downhill trails.