Single speed / fixed gear bikes NOT Made in China

gcolby1
gcolby1 Posts: 8
edited February 2018 in Commuting general
Hello fine fellows... 'made in Asia' is on so many manufacturer websites. I hate buying stuff from China... for lots of reasons. Taiwan is even better for me. But the vague 'made in Asia' doesn't make that easy.

Any TIPS from you knowledgeable insiders / aficianados on frames / whole bikes NOT made in China? (Looking to stay under $500... hahahahaha... but it's true).

Felt may have some made in Taiwan, some models. Not sure about Specialized. UK ones may be ok... if I can find them here in the US.

All the popular ones in the US at all our stores... SE, 6KU, State, etc. are from China. Some shop employees I spoke to today won't even take the time to look on the frame tube right above the cranks where most bikes still (must have, but not always?) country of origin / manufacture.

#informedconsumer #hardtodo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... by_country

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lots of FG or SS are made in Taiwan (the republic of China as they call themselves, the 'other' China being the people's republic oC).

We are a UK based forum though, so buying advice for the US is going to be scarce.

That's a low budget though, you aren't going to get a great bike for that little.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gcolby1
    gcolby1 Posts: 8
    Thanks Rookie. Haha, know more than me. It's a good a search I'm on. Also looking for used, as my much loved 2003 Specialized Allez Elite was stolen (cut lock) from the YMCA gym here in Santa Monica last week. NOT a blingy bike anymore to be sure... but it had a new crankset on it, new chain, new tyres.... my heart is sunk. I have a Cervelo for triathlon and speed that I cannot let out of my sight nowadays in Los Angeles of course. But I need a 'commuter' bike to get to the gym, go to the pub with my wife, etc. The simplicity of the fixie bike / single speed has caught my fancy something fierce. I want to get a *used* bike so it is not as attractive to the thievery corporation, but would like one that rides smooth and doesn't break down..... I'm in for a quite a search..... hope your beloved aluminum/steel and/or carbon steeds are taking you to freedom and places you like to go...... cheers, toss down a few black & tans for me, Colby, from California.........
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    Best bet might be a visit to an LBS and request info on converting an old 10 speed to fixed, this should give you more options regarding your preference on frames.

Depending on location San Francisco and LA have a good scene for this.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a town 'hack' bike, its a beaten up (visibly so) old (1997) Gary Fisher MTB, runs 1x7 gearing and slick tyres, its perfect (if not amazingly fast) for round town and looks like its worth about 10c......it also goes on the turbo trainer when needed (for the wife and son, I can't abide cycling indoors!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    Bianchi do some singlespeed/track bikes, and I think some of their frames are made in Italy. I'm not sure if it's the sort of bike you're after: http://www.bianchiusa.com/find-a-retailer/

I think Trek make some of their bikes in Winsconsin but it tends to be the top of the range models. Trek do have a line of singlespeed bikes, including belt drives which might just be within your budget if you shop around. If you drop them an email they can probably send you a list of USA made models.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not only is the thread dead bit the OP hasn't logged in for a few years.

I'm guessing he's bought a bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools