Quick release clamps

Ross Gardner
Ross Gardner Posts: 230
edited May 2016 in MTB general
The current bike I have doesn't have quick release seat (Carrera Fury). I am guessing I need a new seat post and quick release skewer. Which ones do I get? I don't want a stupidly priced weight shaver, however I am aware of issues with quick release in the past.

Edit: sorry, wrong forum. Belongs in buying advice.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I presume you mean a quick release seatpost clamp, never heard of a quick release saddle.

You just replace the clamp, no need to change the seatpost at all. Try and get one with a metal bush, much more reliable, avoid Hope, they have none (hope-less) in my experience, KCNC or Weaponised are quite nice.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And make sure it's the right size.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ross Gardner
    The Rookie wrote:
    I presume you mean a quick release seatpost clamp, never heard of a quick release saddle

Yeah, that's what I meant. I think I heard someone tell me it's a quick release saddle, that's why.
    The Rookie wrote:
    You just replace the clamp, no need to change the seatpost at all. Try and get one with a metal bush, much more reliable, avoid Hope, they have none (hope-less) in my experience, KCNC or Weaponised are quite nice.

Thanks.
  • Ross Gardner
    I hate to double post (probably not the right forum etiquette), but I'm unsure if I should get 34.9mm or 31.8mm. Help?
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Well, what is your septets diameter? Basically one size up from that (E.g. if you have a 30.9mm seatpost the tube it goes in will have to be bigger -->31.8mm)
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Kickaxe wrote:
    Well, what is your septets diameter? Basically one size up from that (E.g. if you have a 30.9mm seatpost the tube it goes in will have to be bigger -->31.8mm)

Not necessarily one size up. Measure it and find the right size. Or it might be marked on your current clamp.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Kickaxe wrote:

Not necessarily one size up. Measure it and find the right size. Or it might be marked on your current clamp.

Ok, not always, but it usually is.

Definitely don't 100% trust anyone on this, you have to measure it yourself.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Best measure it and get the right size.

I guessed one time on this seat post measured 31.6 so must be 34.9 size clamp turned out my trek frame is 36.4mm which seems an odd size.
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    My Hope clamp has been perfect for 7 years. Just saying.
  • The Rookie
    Is still in the package right?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Ha! No, honestly it's always been fine. OK so it sometimes gets a little stiff to unclamp but a regular squirt of GT85 sorts it. Never has the post dropped. What are the common issues with them then?
  • The Rookie
    The one I had the bushing that the eccentric lever bears on wore very fast and then snapped in two and fell out, used a cheap plastic bush out of a cheapy clamp and it worked much better until I flogged it, I found the KCNC I replaced it with so much better!
  • Why do you need a QR clamp? I ditched QR for a fixed clamp as I was constantly having an issue with the post gradually slipping down over time.

If you are adjusting your saddle height a lot to cope with different terain such as downhill etc... I'd be looking towards a dropper post.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    There's special grease that makes clamps work much better - same stuff used on carbon posts and handlebars.
  • Ross Gardner
    Why do you need a QR clamp? I ditched QR for a fixed clamp as I was constantly having an issue with the post gradually slipping down over time.

Because:
    If you are adjusting your saddle height a lot to cope with different terain such as downhill etc...

I'd be looking towards a dropper post.

Dropper post you tell me? I was told at the start of this thread I didn't need a new post. Maybe I should think about getting one... what posts do you recommend?