Unsure on shoe sizing

jd843
jd843 Posts: 59
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I recently upgraded my road shoes from my first pair (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-solara-womens-road-shoe/) to this SIDI pair http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sidi-womens-wir ... shoe-2015/

I'm fairly sure my first pair are too big for me - they're a 40, and I have to pull the velcro extremely tight and tighten the ratchet quite a lot to prevent that foot-sliding/heel moving feeling.

So I bought the SIDIs in a 39, and the length is perfect. I'm not sure about the width though - they're definitely more snug (but not tight) around the joint of my big toe, and I'm worried that this could cause numbness in my feet and toes after a long time riding, due to foot swelling. I'm not sure if I'm just imagining they're too snug because I'm used to my roomy Giro pair, or if actually they're too small. Just how snug should they feel around the ball of the foot/joint of the big toe?

Thanks.

Comments

• hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    jd843 wrote:
    Hi,

I recently upgraded my road shoes from my first pair (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-solara-womens-road-shoe/) to this SIDI pair http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sidi-womens-wir ... shoe-2015/

I'm fairly sure my first pair are too big for me - they're a 40, and I have to pull the velcro extremely tight and tighten the ratchet quite a lot to prevent that foot-sliding/heel moving feeling.

So I bought the SIDIs in a 39, and the length is perfect. I'm not sure about the width though - they're definitely more snug (but not tight) around the joint of my big toe, and I'm worried that this could cause numbness in my feet and toes after a long time riding, due to foot swelling. I'm not sure if I'm just imagining they're too snug because I'm used to my roomy Giro pair, or if actually they're too small. Just how snug should they feel around the ball of the foot/joint of the big toe?

Thanks.

I don't know which SIDI you have but mine has adjustments at the back. But there is nothing for your toes!

If you feel tight then they are. What size shoe you normally wear?

I go for size 41 Shimano and fits me perfect but for SIDI they are tight not to mention I get numbness which I don't get with Shimano r171.

You also have to factor into account of thicker shocks for colder days.

Again every ones size is different, what might fit me doesn't fit you. If you feel snug then trust me you won't feel comfortable with it.

I had the problem with my SIDI (but thinking they are the best shoes in the world) and I rode with it for a year.

I've now found Shimano r171 and it is like night an day. I am now hurting nowhere!! For four years of my riding I've always had some kind of discomfort with other shimano, sidis and rapha, northwave etc. I can't praise enough of R171 and it really is one of those things that you don't notice it is there anymore because it is that good.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sounds like you need to get out to a shop and try there. Sidi are narrow shoes. Some are wider. It's not like all brands fit all people.
  • jd843
    cougie wrote:
    Sounds like you need to get out to a shop and try there. Sidi are narrow shoes. Some are wider. It's not like all brands fit all people.

I'd really like to, but every shops' range of women's shoes is awful. They either have a few pairs of low-end shoes, or lots of low-end pairs and one pair of high-end shoes. Since i want to upgrade to a high-end pair, it doesn't leave much room for experimenting.
  • jd843
    hsiaolc wrote:
    jd843 wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks.

I don't know which SIDI you have but mine has adjustments at the back. But there is nothing for your toes!

If you feel tight then they are. What size shoe you normally wear?

I go for size 41 Shimano and fits me perfect but for SIDI they are tight not to mention I get numbness which I don't get with Shimano r171.

You also have to factor into account of thicker shocks for colder days.

Again every ones size is different, what might fit me doesn't fit you. If you feel snug then trust me you won't feel comfortable with it.

I had the problem with my SIDI (but thinking they are the best shoes in the world) and I rode with it for a year.

I've now found Shimano r171 and it is like night an day. I am now hurting nowhere!! For four years of my riding I've always had some kind of discomfort with other shimano, sidis and rapha, northwave etc. I can't praise enough of R171 and it really is one of those things that you don't notice it is there anymore because it is that good.

I normally wear a size 4 or 5. I'm more comfortable width-wise in 5s (my running shoes are a 5 as my 4s gave me numb feet after about 3 miles due to foot swelling!). That's why I went for the 39s, as that's what a 5 translates to on SIDI's sizing chart. But I guess if they're small-fitting, it would make sense that I'd be a 40... Maybe I only struggle to get a good fit with my Giros in a 40 because there's no heel adjustment. Even if 40s are big on me, I guess it's less of a problem if there's more adjustability in lots of different parts of the shoe.

I'm thinking of just exchanging them for a 40 and if they feel too big then I'll try a different brand of shoe. My feeling so uncertain about them doesn't strike me as a good omen, and I feel it'd be worse having a pair too small giving me arch pain/numb feet than having a pair a bit too big that I can tighten.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Sorry I didn't pay attention to the link and that you are after women shoes.

If it is tight then go for size up, more room can also benefit thicker socks in the winter