2k Full sus

Rookie3791
Rookie3791 Posts: 3
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
Ok so here goes nothing ...

For the past few months I've been struggling to find a full suspension that suits, and feel extremely out my depth.
Looking at 140mm, for trail XC type at around the 2k region. I have read as many reviews as I possibly can, spoken to some experienced guys and visited some shops the outcome? I'm even more confused!

As a complete newbie to full sus, I feel shop bought might be better than direct for sizing, advice etc.
I have been advised to go to a demo day, but unsure as to whether these are more aimed at very high end bikes?

The bikes I have been looking at include: Canyon nerve, Radon, Calibre Bossnut, Cube stero 140, Trek Remedy and Meridia 140 (I realise some of these are different as to my original critera) :|

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bird Aeris?
    http://shop.birdmtb.com/aeris/aeris-10.html

UK bikes, and they'll give you decent advice.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Rookie3791 wrote:
    Ok so here goes nothing ...

For the past few months I've been struggling to find a 650b full suspension that suits, and feel extremely out my depth.
    Looking at 140mm, for trail XC type at around the 2k region. I have read as many reviews as I possibly can, spoken to some experienced guys and visited some shops the outcome? I'm even more confused!

As a complete newbie to full sus, I feel shop bought might be better than direct for sizing, advice etc.
    I have been advised to go to a demo day, but unsure as to whether these are more aimed at very high end bikes?

The bikes I have been looking at include: Canyon nerve, Radon, Calibre Bossnut, Cube stero 140, Trek Remedy and Meridia 140 (I realise some of these are different as to my original critera) :|

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Where abouts are you based? You should have a look at the Bird Aeris, which although is direct sales, is very much more of a personal experience in my book. Many options on how you want to spec the bike based upon your needs but if you really don't know then the guys there are extremely accommodating and can guide you as to what you should go for to get the best value and I bike you're happy with. They do demos and go through bike setup so you're not off riding a bike they feels completely wrong for you.

In terms of the manufacturers you mention I can vouch for the Remedy having owned one in the past but by the sounds of it I would look to go shorter travel with the Fuel EX and even the 29er version.

As you say, best bet is to demo a few different bikes, wheel sizes, amount of travel etc, to narrow down what you think suits your needs.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Giant Trance is great value and an excellent bike. The Anthem SX is also well worth considering.
    The Saracen Killi Flyer is very good, great ride and decent value.
    Bird Aeris definitely worth a look, great value.
    I'd avoid Canyon if you want the bike delivered this year. Ignore the delivery times on their website.
    I'd forget about the amount of suspension travel, geometry is far more important. My bike has only 120mm rear and is far more capable than most 140mm bikes.
  • I'm based central Scotland. Will definitely be looking at the Aeris then as suggested, I didnt even realise Bird done a full suspenion within my budget. Yeah I reckon I'll need a good amount of guidance on set up, so thats excellent if that help in available :) .

I think you have hit the nail on the head there by saying I need to narrow down what I'm actually looking for and will suit me, so much choice although really not keen on 29er's.

Oh yeah I completely forgot about Canyon and that delivery problem, will be ruling Canyon out I think.

I have tried Giant (ladies specific, can't remember the model though) and just personally prefer something longer/lower.

Thanks everyone :)
  • paulneenan76
    paulneenan76 Posts: 777
    Rose Granite Chief or Uncle Jimbo (bigger brother) are worth your attention also.
    The trance and Anthem also.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374