Which Bike Lights to get?

h.m.s.salty
h.m.s.salty Posts: 43
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
So this may be an age old question for many but what lights should I get for my road bike/ commuter?

I've recently started a job as a bike courier and my hours end quite late, but I'm looking for a set of (preferably rechargeable) lights that would be good to use for lit roads in a city center.

However, I do like to train quite late at night or early in the morning because the roads are quiet and the roads I use are often unlit.

The top caveat is a priority, the latter is just a good bonus as I can always change up my training times.
I'm looking to spend no more than £100 on lights but they need to last me.
Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Comments

• hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    So this may be an age old question for many but what lights should I get for my road bike/ commuter?

I've recently started a job as a bike courier and my hours end quite late, but I'm looking for a set of (preferably rechargeable) lights that would be good to use for lit roads in a city center.

However, I do like to train quite late at night or early in the morning because the roads are quiet and the roads I use are often unlit.

The top caveat is a priority, the latter is just a good bonus as I can always change up my training times.
    I'm looking to spend no more than £100 on lights but they need to last me.
    Thanks in advance for any advice given.

I think I have too many things.

I have many lights. Addicted to lights.

What would you like to have in a light?

My favorite winter light is the Cat eye volt 800 and upgraded that from the Cateye 700. Lighter and brighter and just works and very very bright.
    My summer light now is exposure trace (small and a good to be seen light)

You did mention that you need a light to see at night so maybe you need at least Cateye Volt 800. If weight not your concern you can go even higher. I even have magic shine of 1300 & 2000 lumens but I think that just blinds everyone and not really needed for me but maybe if you need to light up some roads at late night then maybe you can look at that option. Its heavy though.

For back light the exposure trace is also nice. I also like the Knog blinder. (I think I have 20 rear light) Currently I have the Moon Nebula on my helmet. Knog blinder is bright but angle is limited to your seat post angle.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    You could pass the time away by looking through this thread...
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    +1 for the Cateye volt, it's a fantastic front light which has justifiably won a number of awards. Combine it with a Cateye Rapid X2 rear light and you should be just about within budget. Alternatives would be something from the Exposure range which are also very well regarded. I'm a big fan of the Link Plus helmet mounted light but not sure it's bright enough to see by rather than be seen.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    If you only need to be seen then See Sense Front and Rear Icons would be the way to go. Slightly over budget. That should be good enough for now till September. But, a better option would be Volt 400 at front and Icon at rear.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • sub2
    sub2 Posts: 22
    Another vote for the Cateye Volt 800 and the Exposure Trace R rear light, both excellent lights . Volt 800 easily bright enough for unlit roads , is compact and well built.
    I drove up behind a cyclist in daylight that had an excellent rear light that I saw from probably 500 plus yards, my intention was to drive ahead and stop and ask the cyclist what the rear light was as it was so good and bright, turned out it was my wife with her Trace R , excellent light.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Whatever you get get a second for the rear. Smart 0,5w is about a tenner and very bright.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    I've now got two winter's use out of a £20 Cree front light I got from Amazon and it's still going strong. I only ever need to run it on the lower power setting on unlit roads because it is so bright. I also have a little Lezyne 400 as a back up which I normally run on the pulse setting alongside the other light when I'm in town.

There is loads of advice on the MTB section about which of these Chinese lights are currently well thought of.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Sub2 wrote:
    Another vote for the Cateye Volt 800 and the Exposure Trace R rear light, both excellent lights . Volt 800 easily bright enough for unlit roads , is compact and well built.
    I drove up behind a cyclist in daylight that had an excellent rear light that I saw from probably 500 plus yards, my intention was to drive ahead and stop and ask the cyclist what the rear light was as it was so good and bright, turned out it was my wife with her Trace R , excellent light.

And that is the exact combination I have. They might cost a smidgen over £100 but I've been running them both over the winter with no problems and plenty of positive comments from club mates who say how good they both are.

I don't have the TraceR on full when out with other people but it's still ridiculously bright at the second highest setting and has the uncanny knack of not seeming bright when close to it but is very bright from 20 yards plus. Battery life is awesome and the medium pulsing mode is good for 12 hours+.

The Volt 800 has been equally superb, I tend to have it on medium beam it lit areas, switching to high beam in unlit which is enough to avoid any hazards whilst riding on the road unless you're doing insanely fast descents. In low light or bad weather (as opposed to night) I use the flashing mode (not the insane strobe mode) which is going to get you noticed by all but the complete blind. This mode will last ages too so should be good for your job.
  • What do peeps think of these for £50 after the current discount?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIMSMJ902/ ... -light-set
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    What do peeps think of these for £50 after the current discount?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIMSMJ902/ ... -light-set

Seems like a steal. That front light might be a bit overkill for what the OP needs though.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    cougie wrote:
    Whatever you get get a second for the rear. Smart 0,5w is about a tenner and very bright.

+ a million for this - because you wont notice if the rear stops working, always have two.

The Moon Nebula can be got discounted often and is absolutely superb. The saddle rail mount is ideal for me.
  • mrb123
    Moon Comet is an excellent, compact and rechargeable rear light that is also very bright. As others have said, always run two lights at the back.
  • hsiaolc
    If you only need to be seen then See Sense Front and Rear Icons would be the way to go. Slightly over budget. That should be good enough for now till September. But, a better option would be Volt 400 at front and Icon at rear.

I personally wouldn't recommend see sense. I have the pro rear one. It is now collecting dust.

There was no button to turn it on or off and in place they have the most annoying switch system every. They think its clever but totally unfriendly.

WIth their new Icon it is a gadget you control with your phone. For commuting just stick with something simple. Most of the time my phone is in my bag and I wouldn't want to take it out unless you are the kind that have their phone as cycle computer.
  • hsiaolc
    MrB123 wrote:
    Moon Comet is an excellent, compact and rechargeable rear light that is also very bright. As others have said, always run two lights at the back.

I have moon comet as well. Very right rear. So bright I get told off all the time. Had two lost one and the other one broken. Both broken on the strap holder. Nice night but not very durable quality.

Also one mentioned about front chinese light. Magic Shine is mostly for mountain biking. If you are on the road I advise you not to use them especially you have to hook up to an external battery which is not friendly if you are out about commuting. Like I said I have Magic shine 2000 and it is only used for mountain bike night riding.

The optics are quite different for mountain biking and road biking purposes.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Fenix BC30 is not as cheap as chinese lights but is awesome and no need for external battery - shaped beam for the road and really bright.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    I have the Moon Comet MkII's front and rear for city riding. Four levels of brightness in 'solid' mode and three levels in flashing mode with the forth being a very high flash rate.

The front light has 'doubled' as an emergency 'get me home' light one night, on it's brightest setting, when the trains weren't running and I had to cycle along unlit country lanes. Didn't shine too far ahead so had to slow down a little, but I missed the potholes!

Usually I'll also use a Magic Shine in the dark country lanes.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    hsiaolc wrote:
    I personally wouldn't recommend see sense.

I had the Icon rear for a few days, used it on the commute once or twice and felt it was more gimmick than anything so sent it back. It might appeal to some but not me.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    hsiaolc wrote:

I personally wouldn't recommend see sense. I have the pro rear one. It is now collecting dust.

There was no button to turn it on or off and in place they have the most annoying switch system every. They think its clever but totally unfriendly.

WIth their new Icon it is a gadget you control with your phone. For commuting just stick with something simple. Most of the time my phone is in my bag and I wouldn't want to take it out unless you are the kind that have their phone as cycle computer.

It is simple. You set it up. It has an on and off button. It lasts for ages. It's very very bright and very clever even when the app isn't involved. What are you needing to do with the app when you're out on a ride?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've the old see sense light. I paid for it to be upgraded.

Even more light. Bigger battery. Best thing though. Place it face down and it turns off. It's a good light even if a button would have been easier
  • hsiaolc
    Maybe I should uprade
    upgrade for winter riding
  • mrb123
    The Chinese Cree lights aren't a problem to use on the road provided you have them at a sensible angle. I've also put some black tape across the top section of the lens to attempt to provided some cut off to the beam.

In truth the vast majority of lights available do not have properly designed beam patterns for use on the roads so it comes down to how responsibly you use them. The exceptions to my knowledge are the Philips Saferide and the B&M Ixon.