Bike Carrier

jonnyc1973
jonnyc1973 Posts: 45
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I am looking at buying something to allow me to take the bikes away with us in the car. Car is an A3 sportback.

Bikes are my carbon road bike, my oldest son's small adult alloy mountain bike, and we will also probably take my youngests kids bike (although not definite).

We won't be using it a lot so don't want to spend fortunes. I was looking at roof mounted options through roofbox but wife prefers the rear carrier option as it will be easier for her. Possibly looking at Thule 9103 and 9115 extension.

My concern overall is potentially damaging the bike carbon but I know that we will have to get something as we will be travelling to an event in the summer and I won't be able to put my bike in the car as the kids will be in the back seat. Does anyone have any thoughts /experience /recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Carrying bikes or roof boxes or anything externally mounted will have a significant effect on the vehicles fuel consumption if the item is carried on the roof . I have tried various methods and now find the Thule bike carrier mounted on the rear towbar has no adverse effect on fuel consumption. We carry 2 bikes ( one is carbon fibre and my wifes is alu ) no damage to the carbon frame and so easy to load and unload . The car boot can also be opened without having to move the bike . We live in France and often stop on busy motorway service stations and leave the car parked for food and loo stops and we use a safety cable which locks tieing the bikes to the Thule carrier .So far never a problem. Go for it.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    if you can, a tow bar thule with the kick lever to access the boot
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Tow bar is best option but I've been very happy with my Saris Bones 3 bike rack which just straps on and is very secure
  • Dont have a towbar and dont really want the extra expense if I can avoid it tbh.
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    jonnyc1973 wrote:
    Dont have a towbar and dont really want the extra expense if I can avoid it tbh.

I really would reconsider the towbar carrier it's the way to go. Fit's in seconds, bikes easily lifted on or off, better fuel economy and you're not going to drive under a low barrier forgetting they're on the roof!!
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • Any thoughts on this, other than they are out of stock.

https://www.evanscycles.com/saris-gran- ... k-EV144375