Wheel upgrade

okcken
okcken Posts: 4
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello Friends,

I know this topic has been debated much on this forum and on others...And I apologize for asking again. However, I would like to get another opinion on wheel upgrade. I have a 2011 Specialized Secteur Apex with SRAM components. Standard aluminum frame with carbon fork and seat posts. Recently upgraded the tires to Vredestein Comp Race and see some good improvements as compared to what came with my bike. I have Mavic CXP-22 wheelset which again came stock on this bike and weight about 2200gms (both)

The bike in general is a bit heavy, which I think is expected with a bike of frame composition. The geometry is designed for endurance and not speed. However, I find that on uphill, it takes some effort to get myself going and catch-up with the rest of the group and so with flat surfaces as well. I have read that upgrading the wheels to something lighter can "make" a difference but some others say it really does not and not to waste money. (The Campagnolo G3 Khamsin clincher) seems to have peeked my interest a bit based on my research but still a bit on the heavier side (1750gms or so...)

I don't race but go with a group couple of times during the week where we maintain an average of 16-17mph and I ride solo the rest at about the same speed or perhaps less. I weigh about 165 lbs and 5'10'' height.

I am on a tight budget and don't want to spend more than a couple of hundred bucks on the wheelset. I would like to know what you all think and appreciate some suggestions/guidance.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    No wheelset will compensate for a lack of fitness. I would work on that first...
  • I agree, work on fitness first. I ride a heavy (24 lbs or 10.9 kg) cyclocross bike, and my wheels/tires run about 6 lbs (2700+ grams). It's my only decent bike. I'm 5'9" and 230 lbs. And i'm averaging 19ish MPH over 30 miles; small hills only. I'm pretty fit for a big guy, though. Don't spend too much on lightweight stuff. You say you're riding several times a week? Maybe skip one of those days and give yourself more time to recover between rides
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Hold onto the money and save it, keep saving towards a higher level bike s/h.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Train heavy, race light. You'll get fitter, quicker, by riding a heavy bike!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    drlodge wrote:
    Train heavy, race light. You'll get fitter, quicker, by riding a heavy bike!

Not sure that's entirely accurate, but never mind...
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Or to answer your question, looks at something like Fulcrum Racing 5's or Racing 3's which can be had for under £300 with the wider rims.

Tyres also make a big difference, check something like 25c Schwable Durano or 25c Conti GP4000s tyres on and you will be sorted.

Then work on your fitness, changing the wheels wont make you fitter but you may enjoy riding your bike more.

FWIW the comments above about getting fitter are accurate, I train on Shimano RS11's which weight over 2kg without tyres and tubes etc, and it doesn't hold me back too much, I do prefer riding my lighter wheels though.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • JesseD wrote:
    Or to answer your question, looks at something like Fulcrum Racing 5's or Racing 3's which can be had for under £300 with the wider rims.....

First off, i think everyone else DID answer his question asking for guidance. Second, he said he only has a couple hundred DOLLARS to spend. Those wheels, when converted from pounds to dollars are almost double his price range. I can almost guarantee that quality lightweight wheels can't be had for a couple hundred dollars. More like 5 or 6 hundred. To the OP, good luck with whatever you do, but i'd focus solely on fitness/resting.
  • okcken
    Thanks, everyone! Your suggestions have been very helpful! I guess the one thing I am getting from here, is that I work on my fitness than do upgrades. Any general fitness suggestions? Regarding diet, exercise, rest etc?

Appreciate your time!
  • okcken wrote:
    Thanks, everyone! Your suggestions have been very helpful! I guess the one thing I am getting from here, is that I work on my fitness than do upgrades. Any general fitness suggestions? Regarding diet, exercise, rest etc?

Appreciate your time!

I'd try to keep it to a max of about 50-60 miles a week for a few weeks, maybe 2 days at 25-30 miles each (depending on your fitness level. You noted your speed, but not your elevation gain or distance.) Take at least 2 days between rides. Start to increase mileage or frequency as you start to feel stronger. If you're having a rough time at 16-17 mph, you may be over training.

As for food, you'll have to find out what works for your lifestyle/schedule. I generally don't eat anything that has "ingredients" on it, or comes in a box. I stick to meat, fruits, vegetables, starches,etc. It works for me and is really cheap, but may not work for others.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Major Jake wrote:
    JesseD wrote:
    Or to answer your question, looks at something like Fulcrum Racing 5's or Racing 3's which can be had for under £300 with the wider rims.....

First off, i think everyone else DID answer his question asking for guidance. Second, he said he only has a couple hundred DOLLARS to spend. Those wheels, when converted from pounds to dollars are almost double his price range. I can almost guarantee that quality lightweight wheels can't be had for a couple hundred dollars. More like 5 or 6 hundred. To the OP, good luck with whatever you do, but i'd focus solely on fitness/resting.

no, he said he want to spend more than a "couple of hundred bucks".
    He might a "wilderness man" like grizzly Adams, hoping to trade in some rabbit skins.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    those Mavic CXP22's are heavy - not just in weight - they feel dead too ...

You can check the bearings - regreasing them may help a little. Otherwise, a replacement wheelset would be nice. Don't expect miracles though.
    Train heavy is fine - until you're the one slogging it out, feeling like you're getting nowhere - where a nicer wheelset will gain you little in absolute speed, but a lot in feeling like you're doing something worthwhile.

I wouldn't ditch the cxp's though - they're very handy do-it-all/winter wheels ..
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    As Eddie Merkxx once famously said 'Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades!'

Nothing wrong with doing both of course......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • okcken
    Thanks, @Slowbike! I just ordered some Miche Syntiums AXY (SKF bearings, super light with Sapim aero spokes) Getting it shipped from England to USA as I could not find any local dealers here...

@Svetty - That's a nice quote coming from the legend!