Carbon MTB Rims (revised)

thebikingbuddha
thebikingbuddha Posts: 32
edited April 2016 in MTB general
I've made some revisions on my blog here in response to questions from readers.

Enjoy.

https://thebikingbuddah.wordpress.com/2016/04/01/carbon-mtb-rims-are-they-for-you/

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's an interesting read, but a few things still unanswered (and needed). First off, which carbon rim was it, and weight? Also what hubs and spokes were used, and spoke counts/lacing pattern?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Still not a test of carbon vs aluminium. Too many other variables.
    It's still just a test of one rim vs another rim. Material type is almost irrelevant. The rest is just subjective.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    As mentioned above and in your previous thread it's just a comparison of one wheelset against another. There are lots of things that affect how a wheel feels, rim material is only one of them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I always have to giggle at the 'give' tests of unspoked carbon versus alloy rims, its not at all relevant if you compare it to spoked up wheels!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Rookie wrote:
    I always have to giggle at the 'give' tests of unspoked carbon versus alloy rims, its not at all relevant if you compare it to spoked up wheels!

Exactly. Completely meaningless. Once laced up the stress paths are completely different.