Frame size 54 or 56?

Bike pdx
Bike pdx Posts: 5
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
im riding a caad10 and this feels too long even with a short stem. So I'm looking for a more relaxed geo.

I'm 5 foot , 10 inches, 31.5 inseam, not super flexible. I train generally using intervals.

One fitter thinks I'm between, another at 54.

In a long test ride on 54 cervelo r3, i did not feel stretched out and the back and neck felt good. Only downside was feeling a little cramped in the drops, and the legs liked the 56 more probably because they're used to it.

On the ride with 56 cervelo, back and neck felt stretched , I was not riding on the hoods as usual because of this fatigue but I was more comfortable going downhill. I have a longer torso and tend to get low descending . And this is where the 56 feels more natural.

My gut says to go smaller and fit to this given fatigue I felt quickly on the 56. Maybe try different bars or play with stem length or angle.

Or look at a 55 bianchi whose geometry looks in between .

Thoughts from experienced riders or fitters?

Comments

• hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    At your height and inseam it should be a 54. 56 if you want long reach. Whats size is your CAAD10?

There is only so much you can play with the stem. Each bike is designed around a range of stem length and usually they prefer you to be within that small range. So if the bike should be 100mm for 56 and you go for 50mm stem then you are compromising safety because you won't have much control on the bike.

Get the bike size thats fit for you!!! Also get a bike that suit your riding style. Seems like you prefer more upright and relaxed geometry bike.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Fit different bars to the 54.
  • Bike pdx
    Bike pdx Posts: 5
    hsiaolc wrote:
    At your height and inseam it should be a 54. 56 if you want long reach. Whats size is your CAAD10?

There is only so much you can play with the stem. Each bike is designed around a range of stem length and usually they prefer you to be within that small range. So if the bike should be 100mm for 56 and you go for 50mm stem then you are compromising safety because you won't have much control on the bike.

Get the bike size thats fit for you!!! Also get a bike that suit your riding style. Seems like you prefer more upright and relaxed geometry bike.

I have a 56 caad10.

I see qualities that work on both bikes but the 54 feels better in terms of the reach. So I'm leaning this way. Legs feel a bit cramped but I'm starting to think this is because I'm used to a 56. Drops feel too cramped but I can always find a shallower bar I guess
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Bike pdx wrote:
    hsiaolc wrote:

I have a 56 caad10.

I see qualities that work on both bikes but the 54 feels better in terms of the reach. So I'm leaning this way. Legs feel a bit cramped but I'm starting to think this is because I'm used to a 56. Drops feel too cramped but I can always find a shallower bar I guess

Well seems like you need a bike with more relaxed geometry. You can always play around with the spacers (if you have any space) and stem angle to tilt the way that is more comfortable and tilt your handle bars upwards. It will decrease your reach and make it a more comfortable ride?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    In cervelo R3 you won't need a 56, you'd need a 54.

You'd need to get the stem length right, probably 11cm or 12cm at guess. If you're buying a bike for your height and the stem is shorter or longer than that then you probably have bought a bike with the wrong dimensions, or you are old and inflexible.

(I mean that when you see someone riding at your height with a 9cm stem and a bunch of spacers for example then it often indicates they are forcing the bike to fit... much older or non bendy riders excepted as a lot of bikes like the ones you mention aren't really designed for them and they have to do things like this).
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Exactly the same dimension as me and 54cm all day. Depends on your body proportions and the frame geo but reach is easily adjustable with stem length but I struggle to get the seat far enough forward on a 56cm.
  • 852Kompol
    852Kompol Posts: 67
    I am a slightly bigger guy than you at about 5'11" but I would go for the 54 every time, you might want the 54 with bars that have greater drops and longer cranks I guess? (I don't tend to go into the drops too often, but I do prefer bending arms on the hoods to get low)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm 5' 8.5" with longer legs and shorter torso than average for my height, my Rourke is based on a 54cm CAAD10 frame with slightly longer head tube, so I'd say the 54 would be the one for you too. I'm using a 110mm stem.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    54 by the looks of it. 110-120mm stem and you'll be fine.