Dura Ace Cables on SRAM Red equipped bike?

rambino
rambino Posts: 45
edited April 2016 in Workshop
I have an all Force & Red equipped bike and I want to upgrade the cables. Will Dura Ace cable kits be OK? Both inner and outers?

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    rambino wrote:
    I have an all Force & Red equipped bike and I want to upgrade the cables. Will Dura Ace cable kits be OK? Both inner and outers?

I recently read somewhere that SRAM use thinner gear cable inners than Shimano (1.1mm instead of 1.2mm I think). For that reason you may have problems threading the Dura Ace inners through the Force/Red shifters. I think it's doable but you want to avoid any faff with that part of the set up.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    That's right about SRAM and 1.1mm. I've used these in the past and they seem fine:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/universal-in ... 43618.html

If you look at the last picture it's the back of the packet and shows the 1.1mm width.
  • shifting and braking is great with these cables. i ran them with sram red with no issues. The threading is fine along and the end is not frayed and you slightly arch the cable when you install them
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I installed an inner cable on Sram Red front gear and you could feel it binding. Changed it to a Sram cable and it was fine.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    For what it's worth, the rather confused Wiggle person eventually told me on chat that these are 1.2mm not the 1.1mm "needed" for SRAM so I'd give them a miss:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-perfor ... anosram-1/

I'd earlier submitted the same question on-line and they rejected the question (and dodged answering it when someone else had previously asked). Shoddy customer services.

A more general point is that, in my limited experience, it's a nightmare threading SRAM shifters if you don't have sealed ends to the cables but really easy if you do so avoid any cables which have Campag anchors at one end and SRAM/Shimano on the other and want you to cut off the end you don't need. Maybe the same for other brands as well.