Picking new bike up on Sat, but needs new wheels, suggestions under £200?

russboy
russboy Posts: 436
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

So it looks like I will be picking up my new bike on Saturday, but the standard wheels are poor, apparently the normal on Fuji bikes, well it was on my last one.

As such I’m looking to buy some wheels so I can put them on straight away so what would you recommend for £200 or under for a wheelset? Has to be Shimano 11 speed compatible & a clincher wheel.

Suggestions so far are:

£75 - Campagnolo Khamsin Wheelset - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPCAKHAM/c ... n-wheelset
£110 - Shimano WH-RS330 700c Road Wheelset - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPSHXYZRS3 ... d-wheelset
£135 - Mavic Aksium Road Wheelset 2016 - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavi ... prod140606
£180 - Campagnolo Scirocco 35 700c Clincher CX Wheelset - Shimano/SRAM - https://www.evanscycles.com/campagnolo- ... m-EV201621 (these are cyclocross wheels, but I just like look of them & have been told they will fit with a 25c tyre)
£200 - 3T Accelero 40 Pro Road Wheelset - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/3t-a ... prod113041

Doesn’t have to be any of the above, but must be new, so any suggestions on what I should be considering?

As always cheers all,

Russ

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    try using the search feature, there must have been a dozen "What wheels under £200" threads lately...
  • I had an earlier incarnation of the Aksium a few years back and was suitably impressed. Also, for that price you won't be disappointed!

Interested to hear other opinions though!

This thread may be of some use:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13035573&p=19692022&hilit=wheels+under+%C2%A3200#p19692022
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    I think Evans are launching some Fulcrum Racing 7's at £110ish in early May.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Dont make me post this again:

BR compilation of FACTS about wheels:

1: Stock wheels are awful.
    2: Zondas are "bombproof".
    3: Fulcrum 5's are the best wheels under £200.
    4: Carbon clinchers are death traps.
    5: Narrow rims will need higher pressure which will shatter your spine.
    6: Everyone's current wheels "roll well".
    7: Lighter wheels will make you climb at leat 4mph faster.
    8: You "must" stretch your budget for the next level up.
    9: You must stretch your budget a little more for Hand built Archetypes on Novatec hubs.
    10: If you weigh more than 80kg you cannot even consider a factory wheelset.
    11: If you weigh more than 90kg you must have 32 spokes, 36 is better.
    12: Don't even think of asking for advise on deep section rims without showing your cat 1 licence.
    13: Superstar wheels are poorly tensioned and will pringle as the tyre goes on.
    14: Aero wheels are way faster than light wheels.
  • russboy
    Dont make me post this again:

BR compilation of FACTS about wheels:

1: Stock wheels are awful.
    2: Zondas are "bombproof".
    3: Fulcrum 5's are the best wheels under £200.
    4: Carbon clinchers are death traps.
    5: Narrow rims will need higher pressure which will shatter your spine.
    6: Everyone's current wheels "roll well".
    7: Lighter wheels will make you climb at leat 4mph faster.
    8: You "must" stretch your budget for the next level up.
    9: You must stretch your budget a little more for Hand built Archetypes on Novatec hubs.
    10: If you weigh more than 80kg you cannot even consider a factory wheelset.
    11: If you weigh more than 90kg you must have 32 spokes, 36 is better.
    12: Don't even think of asking for advise on deep section rims without showing your cat 1 licence.
    13: Superstar wheels are poorly tensioned and will pringle as the tyre goes on.
    14: Aero wheels are way faster than light wheels.

Lol, yeah just read that on another post!
  • russboy
    Any opinions on the links I posted up, the planet x wheels look cheap, but does that mean they are utter rubbish!
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    How about these:
    https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/cero-ar ... set-bundle
    The AR30 have been a brilliant wheelset for me - so I'm sure the above are good vfm.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Go for a wheel with a 17mm wide I.D. rim, if your bike has the fork/frame clearances.
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    Fulcrum Racing Quattro LG (wider rim). I like them anyway, and they roll we....oops
  • if it was my choice, i would save a few more bob for the zonda's :o
  • letap73 wrote:
    How about these:
    https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/cero-ar ... set-bundle
    The AR30 have been a brilliant wheelset for me - so I'm sure the above are good vfm.
    +1, just be aware the rim is 'narrow' by modern standards.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    These ones from superstar have been described as a bargain:

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/c ... s-2024.htm

Code EXTRA20 takes them down to £80 - if I weren't so heavy I'd have had a set by now.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Fulcrum Racing 5 LG (wider version) https://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum-ra ... 74070.html

Followed by the Cero wheels above

Followed by http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/c ... s-2024.htm if you like the colours - there is a code for another £20 off GETEXTRA20

I would get the Fulcrums personally. or two sets of the Superstars!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yep superstars all the way

I have too many wheelsets to even list including most on your list and as well as lots of handbuilt sets

I've just bought two set from superstar elite 24 in silver and 30 in red both sets are circa 1500g perfectly true and come with free truing (plus postage) for life.

What's not to like for £80
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Has to be those Superstars for 80 squids, heck buy two sets at that price, if there was a disc brake hub option for 135mm front and 170mm rear I would be all over them! :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • russboy
    TimothyW wrote:
    These ones from superstar have been described as a bargain:

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/c ... s-2024.htm

Code EXTRA20 takes them down to £80 - if I weren't so heavy I'd have had a set by now.

What's the weight limitation then?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I wouldn't bother buying 'upgrade' wheels for £200, as they are unlikely to be any better than the wheels that are already fitted. Just spend on some decent rubber.
  • russboy
    Imposter wrote:
    I wouldn't bother buying 'upgrade' wheels for £200, as they are unlikely to be any better than the wheels that are already fitted. Just spend on some decent rubber.

The wheels that are shipped with most Fuji bikes are awful, they are their own brand, in this instance they are "Oval 527 aero alloy clincher". Tyres are just as bad with "Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slick", about £12 a tyre.

Already got my new gatorskins ready to go on the new bike.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Define 'awful'..?? £12 Zaffiros (or even Gatorskins) are not really what I had in mind when I suggested 'decent rubber', tbh...
  • russboy
    Imposter wrote:
    Define 'awful'..?? £12 Zaffiros (or even Gatorskins) are not really what I had in mind when I suggested 'decent rubber', tbh...

Then what is decent rubber? I suspect the price tag would be several times more than the Gatorskins, so that leads me on to do I really need fantasic levels of equipment that tends, not always, to be a hell of a lot more expensive?

I'm a casual rider, I commute 6 miles a day, not much but then I didn't choose where they put the office & most weekends do 30 - 50 miles at a (very) casual pace with friends, I don't race, don't intend to, to old & too fat for that! I just want better quality than is on there, partly for reliability, partly for looks, partly for performance but ultimately i'm not going to test the daylights out of anything on the bike so want to move up from what's considered to be a poor component on to something better, not amazing. I could go & splash £800 on a set of wheels but then what's the point for the level i'm at?

That's why I set the price tag as I thought that was a reasonable amount to spend without going ott.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Russboy wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Then what is decent rubber? I suspect the price tag would be several times more than the Gatorskins, so that leads me on to do I really need fantasic levels of equipment that tends, not always, to be a hell of a lot more expensive?

I'm a casual rider, I commute 6 miles a day, not much but then I didn't choose where they put the office & most weekends do 30 - 50 miles at a (very) casual pace with friends, I don't race, don't intend to, to old & too fat for that! I just want better quality than is on there, partly for reliability, partly for looks, partly for performance but ultimately i'm not going to test the daylights out of anything on the bike so want to move up from what's considered to be a poor component on to something better, not amazing. I could go & splash £800 on a set of wheels but then what's the point for the level i'm at?

That's why I set the price tag as I thought that was a reasonable amount to spend without going ott.

For the tyres, someone will be along in a minute to recommend Michelin Pro4 Service Course. I haven't tried them yet so can't personally recommend them but they seem to be the tyre everyone is recommending at the mo so they must be fantastic!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Zaffiros are not actually that bad and superb value - I rode many miles on mine until they wore out. Conti GP4000S much better though.

On my son's Triban 3 red, a £300 bike, then £200 wheels were absolutely a big step up from OEM wheelset.

The Superstar wheels at £80 are likely to be between half a kilo and maybe even a kilo lighter than the ones that come on most bikes under a grand as the manufactures spend their money on frame, forks, drivetrain and brakes and skimp on wheels every time.

The Fulcrum racing 5 LG wheels will have a wider rim and create a much better tyre shape than the OEM wheels too.

With double or triple butted spokes, they will be stronger too.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Russboy wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

i'd recommend a set of shimano RS10 which can be had for about £70 if you hunt around and a pair of rubino pro £20 with inner tubes from decathlon, not lightweight but very well build, cheap and reliable even with the lowish spoke count.

The mechanic at my LBS who's build me at least three sets of handbuilt wheels fixed a snapped spoke on mine last week, that's the only issue i've had in over two years of all weather commuting 130-180 miles a week.

Cant beat that for value for money imo
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • russboy
    handful wrote:
    Russboy wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

For the tyres, someone will be along in a minute to recommend Michelin Pro4 Service Course. I haven't tried them yet so can't personally recommend them but they seem to be the tyre everyone is recommending at the mo so they must be fantastic!

They look quite reasonable priced actually, will bear those in mind.
  • russboy
    apreading wrote:
    Zaffiros are not actually that bad and superb value - I rode many miles on mine until they wore out. Conti GP4000S much better though.

On my son's Triban 3 red, a £300 bike, then £200 wheels were absolutely a big step up from OEM wheelset.

The Superstar wheels at £80 are likely to be between half a kilo and maybe even a kilo lighter than the ones that come on most bikes under a grand as the manufactures spend their money on frame, forks, drivetrain and brakes and skimp on wheels every time.

The Fulcrum racing 5 LG wheels will have a wider rim and create a much better tyre shape than the OEM wheels too.

With double or triple butted spokes, they will be stronger too.

Yeah that's what Fuji do, money goes on the frame & groupset.

Earlier in this thread someone said the Superstars were not for them due to weight, suspect that'll be the same for me, not that I know the weight limit yet.
  • russboy
    For tyres I’ve recently realised that some are better than others. Bought a pair of:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/michelin-lithio ... 5360676129

Straight away the bike felt different but not in a good way, so much so a week later I bought some Gatorskins, one new, one with 200 miles on it, from someone on here & the difference was amazing, so much nicer to ride!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    handful wrote:

I would recommend Michelin Pro4 Service Course, a good all round fast tyre without being too delicate. Have them back on the Rourke with the Harry Rowland wheels. Not as nice as the IRC roadlite tubeless but that's comparing apples and pears.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • russboy
    Most surprised but the guy in the bike shop talked me out of a sale saying the Campag's I wase tempted on were a step down from the Oval 527 aero already on there, so I kept the cash in my pocket :-)