Bar End Shifters on Removable Aerobars?

mattyoung1990
mattyoung1990 Posts: 11
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

a few months ago I purchased a second hand 2012 Pinarello Dogma 2 with full Campag Super Record EPS and other top of the range components I probably wouldn't have fitted to the bike myself. Anyway... I am a keen triathlete but don't have the money to run a full TT bike and a standard road bike (which I'd probably spend 90% of my riding time on). I have some Profile Carbon clip on aerobars that I used to use with my trusty Trek 1.2 but unfortunately these do not fit around my non-circular Most aero handlebars and never had bar end shifters - something I'd quite like.

So... the new bike. I was thinking of going for something like the BLKTEC R1 or R3 handlebars http://www.blktec-cycles.com/collections/bars/products/r1 which are aero handlebars with the option for clip in aerobars. Assuming I get these or something similar (only just beginning the research), does anyone know how I could enable bar end shifters? Obviously there is Campag Super Record EPS with 5 lead interface to enable bar end shifters but this wouldn't work when I want to remove the aerobars. I am aware that Di2 comes with satellite shifters that I believe would solve my problem but I don't think Campag do this?

Has anyone got any bright ideas...?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I can only imagine that changing the cabling etc on a mechanical setup each time to enable shifting on the extensions would be an almighty pita

If you really wanted to go down that route then SRAM Etap would be the easiest option - I don't know whether the blip cables are long enough but you could run those from the brake levers up to the aerobars and tape the cables down then unplug them when you remove the extensions.

Otherwise, you might as well invest in a proper aero cockpit, leave all the cables attached to both road and aero bars and swap the whole lot over.

Unfortunately you're now into the realms of decent secondhand TT bike which would almost certainly do the job better (more aero fit, better geo etc).
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    How serious are you for triathlon ?

Slap on the tribars. Use the Ergos to change gear. 98% of the benefit for none of the cost.

If you were really serious you'd have a full on TT rig so I'd not fret too much about bar end shifting.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    what fenix said. you'll go faster with aerobars but nowhere near as fast as a formal tt rig.