Bike Van fixing Solutions.

Stoo61
Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
edited April 2016 in MTB general
Hello,

Just picked up a Transporter, its it ply lined and I was wanting peoples opinion on fixing that could hold a few bikes securely with minimal effort. My mind is thinking of some sort of clamp screwed to the side to hold the frame akin to a work stand clamp?

or would a few bungees be just as good? What ideas do people have/use? Cheers.

Comments

• This is good for me too as I Litrally just threw me and my friends bikes in the back of my van and they all fall and get scratched :(
  • Mattcee
    Mattcee Posts: 148
    I made my 'bike box' for my T5 which has a clamp were you take your front wheel off and drop the forks over it secured with your bolt thru. Helmet, bags and other stuff go in there too.
    box1.jpg

It just drops into place behind the wheel arches so it can't slide about but can be removed easily.

box2.jpg

You can get the brackets off ebay and could fit a few direct to your floor if just ply if you wanna carry more bikes - thats if your prepared to take your wheel off.
    It doesn't need any more fixings/bungees once in the bracket so while its a hassle taking the front wheel off, its often quicker than securing your bike with bungees etc.
  • Stoo61
    The primary reason for buying a mid sized van was that i wouldnt need to take the wheel off, so I need a solution that keeps the bikes complete. Thats cool though for sure!

I thinking some sort of a wheel stand and bungees would do the business.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A friend had a Citroen Berlingo size work van and put his bike in there and to stop it falling over simply had a piece of wood across the van that sat over the top tube and wedged against the sides of the van and had some padding around the cut-out that sat on the top tube.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Just a bungee and an dust sheet to use as padding to stop it getting scratched.

Or fix a bit of wood across van and hook seat over it and bungee/strap it down.
  • Stoo61
    JGTR wrote:
    Just a bungee and an dust sheet to use as padding to stop it getting scratched.

Or fix a bit of wood across van and hook seat over it and bungee/strap it down.

To be fair, first run today and a bungee on each wheel and one at the bottom bracket and it was going no where, no wobble or anything. Means adding no extra eyelets etc so Im happy for now. MTB on the left, roadie on the right :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Roof bar mounted bike holder screwed direct to the floor is easiest!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.