Best Second Hand Bike 500-600

Socajssr
Socajssr Posts: 9
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Hey I have a Triban 3, but want to upgrade it. I'm not willing to spend more than 500-600 for a good second hand bike. Hopefully get an intermediate Level bike for that. What brand and model should I narrow down my search to to obtain a decent bike for this kind of money.

I would say I'm a fair weather rider and not a hardcore or commuter rider.

Plan is to train on the Triban and use the new bikes for cycling events.

Comments

• Keep an eye on the classifieds section of the forum as you may find yourself a second hand gem!
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Socajssr wrote:
    Hey I have a Triban 3, but want to upgrade it. I'm not willing to spend more than 500-600 for a good second hand bike. Hopefully get an intermediate Level bike for that. What brand and model should I narrow down my search to to obtain a decent bike for this kind of money.

I would say I'm a fair weather rider and not a hardcore or commuter rider.

Plan is to train on the Triban and use the new bikes for cycling events.

You can pick up a decent new Merida Ride for that money and I'm sure something from a few other brands.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Or get onto Paul's Cycles where you can pick up new older models of Cannondale and Cube for £600.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Just one example from the classified section on here

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13063262

Seller had described it as a 52 in the title but that is the seat tube measurement - the more usual top tube measurement is 57cm so would suit someone 5'10" to 6' 1" or thereabouts.

He's keen to sell so an offer within your budget might be accepted
  • Socajssr
    Never upgraded, but I'm back again and hitting the road for a 100 Mile ride.

I am looking for a good Road Bike second hand for around £800.

Must be Carbon. Decent Group set.

I'm willing to upgrade the wheels etc.

What models should I ;look out for.
    I I have made so many costly mistakes I don't want to make another.
    I could spend £800 and easily get a bike that is no better that what I have without some guidance.
  • Socajssr
    Thanks but that particular bike gets a bad review on here. I'm happy to get a used one for this price.

Anyone have an opinion on BTWIN FACET 7?

I'm thinking it should have Ultegra group set and be Carbon as a starter.
    Willing to change the weels and tires after purchase.

Am I on track or being unrealistic?
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Is that the 3 star review on Bikeradar?

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/ro ... no-ultegra
    http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/ro ... rbon-105-5

I think you'll find most people who ride, or have ridden will agree it's a superbike frameset and that particular version is only lacking in the wheel and finishing kit areas.....hence where the £650 spare would come in handy. Plus you get a manufacturers (and shop) guarantee.

You could even sell the Tiagra and wheels, add that to the spare cash saved and buy Ultegra, new wheels and finishing kit and probably still have money left over.

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13042198
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    How tall are you? Mine's up for that money - in the classifieds. Great bike.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Socajssr
    I'm 5 '8 but I tell the wife I'm 6'2 and a quarter.
    Could you send the link to the claissified ad.

Are these any good.
    Cervelo RS Carbon Road Racing Bike

I will double check the bike suggested as it is brand new and seems a good price for a Carbon frame bike.
  • Looks a minefield for second hand bikes for a price range.
    It depends if you want something 1-2 years old, or 5-6 years old which maybe has a slightly better groupset or was a more expensive bike originally.
    not on the classifieds yet, but selling one of my road bikes I bought new last year for 700 and it's competing with 4-5 year old bikes so depends what you're looking for.
  • Dinyull wrote:

OK - So a secondhand bike with Ultegra may still be the 10 speed version of Ultegra (6700). So the new Tiagra (4700) is also 10 speed, has the concealed cabling, and probably shifts as well, if not better, than the older Ultegra.
    Couple that with the new bike warranty, manufacturer and shop, I think I'd need to be getting a decent deal on a second hand bike to walk away from that one.

Also Rutlands have the CUBE Attain GTC Pro Disc for £832 or thereabouts - but only available in a 56. See here...https://www.rutlandcycling.com/377334/products/return-2016-cube-attain-gtc-pro-disc-carbon-road-bike-grey-56cm.aspx
  • Socajssr
    Thanks, What are the issues with getting a slightly bigger frame than the guide states. I'm 5'8 ideal size is supposed to be 54cm. This is 56 I have seen another 57 that I like.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Socajssr wrote:
    Thanks, What are the issues with getting a slightly bigger frame than the guide states. I'm 5'8 ideal size is supposed to be 54cm. This is 56 I have seen another 57 that I like.

Don't do it. Far better to have a frame too small than too big. You can fit a longer stem and layback seatpost to make a small frame fit a bigger rider, but doing the reverse seldom ends well.

3 or 4 cm might not sound much, but in terms of how you feel on the bike it can make a massive difference.

Go and try out a 57 and see what you think.
  • Socajssr
    Thanks. I got a nice Bianchi Carbon really light weight even for a Carbon with Zipp 404 wheels included. I think it has the first DURA groupset on it(silver). Very nice looking bike well looked after and well spec'd for my needs. I'm a Sunday morning ride who will enter some charity events later this year. I'm not hardcore but would love to have the time to become a hardcore rider. 40-50 miles a session for me at the mo.
  • Socajssr
    Forgive my ignorance, but the review of these pedals
    (Shimano Ultegra 6800 SPD-SL)
    states it takes a month of so to break the pedals in.
    WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN!!!

I will be riding brand new pedals in a 100mile ride. Good idea?

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... dal-49686/
  • Socajssr

• Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    Socajssr wrote:

It means nothing, just go ride them. In my experience, Shimano pedal bearings start a little stiff when they're new and have lots of grease. They loosen up after use.