Another new bike! Which brand?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
So: Twin 1 (the female) needs a new bike, as she's outgrown her Ridgeback. She's nearly 150cm/5ft now (coming up to 11)

Earlier purchase of an Islabike was veto'ed by Mrs SecretSam on cost grounds, but she's softening as one of Twin 2's mates has one...and I mentioned resale value.

But there's more choice now: Frog, Hoy, Wiggins (IIRC) - what to go for? Isla is still probably the default gold standard, but...

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Frog bikes - seeing more of them around recently. Just ordered a Frog 62 for my 8yr old lad after seeing the quality of the build on a friend's kid's bike. Only 200g heavier but 130 beans cheaper than the equivalent Isla - and you get 2 sets of tyres, 2 sets of tubes and mudguards thrown in. Looked at Hoy bikes as well but the one we potentially wanted is out of stock til July at least.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Nixtoo
    Nixtoo Posts: 10
    We've just cancelled our order for a Islabeinn 20 as the wait was too long. We're picking up a frog 55 on Saturday. It was over £100 cheaper too, about 700g heavier. I think with the latest price rise Isla bikes will not continue to hold their residual. At £350 plus another £50 for mudguards, stand, bottle etc. I also looked at the ridgeback dimension and Raleigh performance as they seem as light as the Islabike. The frog was available at the lbs so that swung it in the end.