Cannondale Caad 10 upgrade under 600€

Valys
Valys Posts: 3
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi, I'm new to BikeRadar forum and have a few questions. Firstly I would ask you how i can upgrade my Cannondale Caad10 105 road bike? My budget is not huge - only 600€ for this season.
I'm training on road bike everyday about 90-120 kilometers per day and thinking that for this budget i should upgrade my wheels from cheap Shimano RS11 to Mavic Ksyrium Elite. And other variant to upgrade frameset to carbon like Cube agree.
Have any ideas?

Cannondale Caad 10 (2015)
Shimano 105 groupset
Shimano RS11 wheels

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What are you expecting from any 'upgrades'..?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    The CAAD10 frameset is far superior to any Cube, dammit.
    Basically, the Caad10 with nicer groupset and finishing kit becomes even better.
    Mine is in its third season of racing.. I see no reason to get rid .
    As your budget is limited then better spend this season's money on a wheelset.
    If you do race, then consider tubular, use the stock wheels for training.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I would get better wheels, Mavic Ksyrium Elites, the 2016 version are a good bet. And some Conti 4000GPSII and you are good to go.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Valys
    Valys Posts: 3
    Thanks for your opinions. And i've one more question about chinese carbon wheels, 50 or 60mm rim and custom hub like Shimano Ultegra. How about this?
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Another CAAD head here. It's a brilliant platform for upgrades.

With your budget, I'd definitely go the upgrade route. RS11 aren't really a bad wheel. They're a bit heavy and not hugely aero, though. Something lighter/deeper, depending on your usual use wouldn't be a bad idea, but I wouldn't put the whole budget on them. Something wider, with 25mm tyres will help take the edge off the ride a little.

Other areas worth considering. They won't make it faster, but they'll make it a bit lighter and nicer in use.

Stock finishing kit isn't amazing. The seat post in particular is a bit of a lump. I don't know how much weight means to you, but it's a good cheap area to save 100-150 g with the possibility of added comfort.
    Crankset. The stock FSA Gossamer is just about OK. You can do better, though. FSA SL-K (five arm, pre-2014 model) or, of course, a Hollowgram is a nice upgrade. New prices on both are a bit scary, though.
  • Bike pdx
    Bike pdx Posts: 5
    Valys wrote:
    Hi, I'm new to BikeRadar forum and have a few questions. Firstly I would ask you how i can upgrade my Cannondale Caad10 105 road bike? My budget is not huge - only 600€ for this season.
    I'm training on road bike everyday about 90-120 kilometers per day and thinking that for this budget i should upgrade my wheels from cheap Shimano RS11 to Mavic Ksyrium Elite. And other variant to upgrade frameset to carbon like Cube agree.
    Have any ideas?

Cannondale Caad 10 (2015)
    Shimano 105 groupset
    Shimano RS11 wheels

I went with a used set of Ksyriums and felt they were great for feeling that caad10 acceleration but I noticed they harsher so I went back to the shimano. I felt this more on descents. Based on this id say go hand built for about the same price or find some shimano c24s that have a good rep.
  • Wheels are definitely where to spend the money. You could get some low mileage 2nd hand carbon wheels for £600 easily which would transform the bike. Use the RS11 in the winter and the carbons in the summer/racing.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,501
    Wheels are the obvious - something modern, wide, light and a bit of aero depth would be my suggestion - maybe even tubeless?

Fulcrum quattro LG seem decent - but not the lightest
    Hunt wheels in the UK look good spec, but not sure where you are since you're talking about euros.