Charity bike ride sponsorship wanted

2»

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Holdey, don't take it personally, people are just giving their view on sponsorship. Seeing as you are new to cycling you will probably have a lot of questions in the coming weeks/months, their are a lot of knowledgeable bods on this forum who are able offer you the benefit of their experience if asked for it. So stick around and post away and enjoy your new road bike when you get it.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    De Sisti wrote:
    Ask the Welsh Assembly. They will definitely contribute.

It might be better to ask the Welsh government
    Linky
  • Jay_Forme
    Jay_Forme Posts: 132
    I cycled from Milan to Monaco last year for charity.

On top of the £199 fee to join up (I think it was £199) I stuck in the first £500 as a buffer for the expenses side of things.
    I also paid for my flights to Milan and home from Monaco to save this coming out the overheads.

I reached my target, in fact I blew it out the water in the end but the few people who told me they was paying for my jolly had no reply when I told them I had paid best part of £850 out my own pocket.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ^ Thats the way to do it :wink:

Potential sponsors will hopefully pick up on your commitment and encourage them to donate something if they otherwise might not, or donate more if they would have anyway.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,906
    Ditto re paying one's own way - six of us did Paris to Rome in 2013, and it cost us the best part of £1000 each for our 'cycling holiday', but knowing that we were raising £7400 on the back of that for a local cancer charity made it even more special. And it makes asking for sponsors an easy job, as you know that every penny is going to them. And I think all the money came from friends and relations, if memory serve correctly.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Slowbike wrote:
    Slightly off topic - I do think that sporting events with charity donations need to be performance related - it's not enough anymore to say "I'm riding for X to Y please donate" - unless it's some sort of superhuman effort - it needs to have a target - one that could be missed eg overall speed, timegates, kit rations etc etc.

With respect, may I ask why it has to be a superhuman effort?

6 years ago I had throat cancer. It took 7 months of chemo and radio therapy and some operations to eventually combat it - it was a hard, grueling, and debilitating time. It's left me with no saliva, so getting out of breath on a cycle ride has it's problems! Two years ago I had an eye removed due to a tumor on the retina. Cancer research were funding a drug that was injected into the eye, a trial of which I was glad to have participated in (but unfortunately failed).

My work colleagues, friends, and family all know the trials I've been through. Last year I rode my first charity ride (and my first ride over 40 miles). This year I've ridden a 40 miler for BHF (OK, no big effort, but it was for my son and friend), and my son and I plan on doing London to Brighton and back in September, again for Cancer Research.

I don't do it as a race, I don't do it for it's performance related, or superhuman effort. The target is my own effort - effort in doing the challenge, and effort in raising the money for the charities which unfortunately rely on such funding.

I appreciate charity rides have to include challenging aspects to them such that sponsors know the entrant has to train and push themselves to a degree, but superhuman effort? (Is kit rationing healthy for a rider?)

The charities I've ridden for are large, well known organisations with well publicised events, and I can understand some comments levied against Holdey. But, if his event turns out to be well planned, organised, properly publicised and sanctioned by his chosen charity, I'll certainly support his cause.

Without such challenges/charity rides, my children would be without a father, and I wouldn't have watched their families grow. And I bet I'm not the only one here in such a situation, with such 'life stories' on these forums.

In closing, I offer my thanks to those riders (and runners, etc) who have supported charities in the past.
    Steve
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,906
    And all better than these charity 'challenges' that involve not bothering to shave or giving up a drug for a month.
  • Holdey wrote:
    Look if you don't want to donate that's your choice. If you don't believe that I'm doing it for charity that's your choice. Just don't keep critising what I'm doing. Just stay quite unless you have something constructive to say.
    Thanks holdey

Repped
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    De Sisti wrote:
    De Sisti wrote:

Linky

Bit of confusion here, I think. What used to be called the 'Welsh Assembly Government' is now called the 'Welsh Government' - in other words, they dropped the 'assembly' bit from the title. There obviously still is an 'assembly' in Cardiff where they all meet and talk sh*t...
  • Holdey
    Holdey Posts: 38
    I don’t want to get into a big debate about Charity Events (I’m sorry I posting it in the beginning) but I just want to make a few points.

Firstly, thanks to those who have sponsored me and thanks to those who have supported what I am doing.

For those who say they would like to do an event like this, contact “Shelter Cymru” as there are still places available, and hopefully I will see you in Cardiff on the 15th March for the ride, where you could pass your knowledge onto me, as I’m sure I will need it.

For those who say it just a fun ride and they could do it in their sleep, well everything is subjective, what’s hard for one person is easy for another. I started riding last summer and signed up for a 46 charity ride for British Heart Foundation which I am doing in July. As the time, I thought I’d never be able to achieve 46 miles. After a bit of training, I can now do 40 miles so getting there. So the 300 miles Cardiff to Paris is going to be a difficult ride for me. For some people it would be easy, but then if they said they were doing a 1000 mile ride, that might be difficult for them, other would say that’s a walk in the park, so everyone rides are subjective to them.

For those who say it a jolly, last time Shelter Cymru organised this event, they made £70,000 (not raised) actually made for the charity, so myself, I feel it’s an event that is worth doing.

Also, it’s not only about raising money for the charity, it’s about raising the profile of the charity which I suppose this forum (be it good or bad comments) has done.

I must admit, some of the comments really upset me, as all I am doing is what I thought was raising money for a good cause, then I get all this backlash.

I can see some of your points of view, I’m new here, don’t know anyone, so I apology for that.

If you would like more information on the charity :-  http://www.sheltercymru.org.uk

The charity mains aims are:-

The prevention on homelessness through housing advice, training ,education and information, to bring about sustainable solutions at national and local level to policies, practices and legislation that will reduce homelessness and housing need. 

Thanks all again Holdey
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Good recovery from a bad start!

Keep cycling mate and you'll manage it no problem - just hope you don't get to see Wales win the Grand Slam!
  • SoSimple wrote:
    Good recovery from a bad start!

Keep cycling mate and you'll manage it no problem - just hope you don't get to see Wales win the Grand Slam!

Why do you hope he fails to complete his ride?
  • Holdey
    I think theres been a misunderstanding. Sosimple was supportive the ride he just doesn't want to see Wales win at Rugby.

Thanks all for the support.

By the way I manged to do a 60 mile ride yesterday. Nearly 20 more than my previous best and hopefully when I pick my new defy up I should be getting there.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Imposter wrote:
    De Sisti wrote:
    De Sisti wrote:

Linky

Bit of confusion here, I think. What used to be called the 'Welsh Assembly Government' is now called the 'Welsh Government' - in other words, they dropped the 'assembly' bit from the title. There obviously still is an 'assembly' in Cardiff where they all meet and talk sh*t...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2016/wales/results
    I didn't mention the government. It's still known as the Welsh Assembly.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    De Sisti wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    De Sisti wrote:
    De Sisti wrote:

Linky

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2016/wales/results
    I didn't mention the government. It's still known as the Welsh Assembly.

I'm confused as to why you'd approach the Assembly for funding/grants/sponsorship rather than the Government. I suppose you could try to tap up individual AM's?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Holdey
    Thanks for the donation