Specialized Crux Sport E5 - As road bike

kjelsrud
kjelsrud Posts: 7
edited May 2016 in Cyclocross
Hello.

I recently bought a Specialized Crux Sport E5 hjkdezo mainly as a winter commuter bike, but also as a gravel/light trail bike during summer. So far my experience with both gravel, and studded tires during the last part of the winter has been really good.

Now I`m wondering if I should use this bike as a summer road bike aswell. However, after comparing it against a friend's Bianchi Intenso, my Crux feels abit sluggish and slow, especially in accelerations. This is most likely the wheel/tires?
Anyway, does anyone have any experience with putting a decent wheelset with slicks tires on this sort of a bike? Does is feel more like a road bike, or should I get myself a proper roadbike for that summer feel?

Thanks

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I don't feel significantly slower on my CX bike on road with slick tyres fitted. The position is a little more upright and it weighs a little more which is slightly noticeable uphill but thats it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    The Crux is a mean machine... fit some decent wheels and fast tyres and it will fly!

The Crux also looks the dog's bollox, what colour is yours?
    left the forum March 2023
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    I have raced road races on my cross bike (road tyres obvs). Totally fine. I do have very similar positions on my cross and road bikes.
  • kjelsrud
    I have the light blue model: https://www.specialized.com/no/en/bikes ... -e5/106582

I will be looking for a decent wheelset with slick tires then. Probably 25 or maybe even 28.
    I was just abit shocked over how sluggish it suddenly felt compared to the Bianchi.
    Which was really to bad, because I really feel at home on the Crux.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    VamP wrote:
    I have raced road races on my cross bike (road tyres obvs). Totally fine.
    So long as you have cantis :roll:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • ugo.santalucia
    kjelsrud wrote:

Nice, my favourite is the Sunburst one, in yellow/orange kind of colour

s-l300.jpg
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    TGOTB wrote:
    VamP wrote:
    I have raced road races on my cross bike (road tyres obvs). Totally fine.
    So long as you have cantis :roll:

Well, yeah. Who'd have disks? They dangerous! UCI say so!
  • kjelsrud
    Quick follow up regarding wheels.

My Crux has the common regular quick releases.
    I assume I can fit any regular disc wheelset within my frame? (I know the newer Crux with the specialized thru axels had some issues there)
  • ugo.santalucia
    kjelsrud wrote:
    Quick follow up regarding wheels.

My Crux has the common regular quick releases.
    I assume I can fit any regular disc wheelset within my frame? (I know the newer Crux with the specialized thru axels had some issues there)

Yes, any disc wheelset for QR will do. Aksium are cheap and reasonably good
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    upgraded my Crux with a pair of Kinesis Crosslight Disc wheels.

Cost £300, took over 500 grammes off the existing DT Axis wheelset weight- the wheels are around 1555 grammes which is not bad for cx disc wheels at that pricepoint

Even with pedals, rack and pump fitted the bike is still under 10kg which is not heavy but will always be sluggish compared to a pure road bike
  • ugo.santalucia
    carrock wrote:

Even with pedals, rack and pump fitted the bike is still under 10kg which is not heavy but will always be sluggish compared to a pure road bike

Remove the crap, fit a pair of race tyres and the difference will be negligible. The only thing that stands in the way is the 46 chainset, which is not enough to keep up if folks hammer at 50-60 kmh... on the plus side it is much more usable 99% of the times