Baby seat for MTB?

Mattcee
Mattcee Posts: 148
edited April 2016 in MTB general
We have an 8 month old boy whos too young for a trailer but have read a child seat is suitable from 6 months.

Can anyone suggest a decent seat that will fit on a full suspension MTB?

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Mattcee wrote:
    Can anyone suggest a decent seat that will fit on a full suspension MTB?

No.

Impossible task given the huge range of different suspension designs out there. Take the bike to a Halfords or similar, where you can actually "offer up" the different baby seats and their brackets to the frame and see which ones (if any) are going to fit around all the linkages and pivots...

Of course, you may get lucky if you tell us WHAT full suspension bike you have, and someone else might happen along that's already done all the homework for you. :wink:
  • Mattcee
    Ah didn't realise it would be that complicated.

I have Giant anthem 27.5 and Vitus escarpe vrx.
    Both are 2015 models.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Well, the giant shouldn't be too much of a problem, as it has a decent length of seat tube clear of any suspension paraphernalia (depending on frame size, obviously). The Vitus looks like it's going to be near-impossible to fit a conventional babyseat to, but then why would you want to - you're not going to be riding anything gnarly with the kid, so just settle for the Anthem.
  • Mattcee
    Got a 'Weeride safe front' seat today as they say its fits almost all bikes inc full suspension.
    Sits in middle of rider and bars which I like much better than being behind.
    Not tried fitting it yet tho...
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Just had a look at your bike online, Halfords Hamax will fit your Giant, not your Vitus though. I have the Hamax.
  • Mattcee
    JGTR wrote:
    Just had a look at your bike online, Halfords Hamax will fit your Giant, not your Vitus though. I have the Hamax.

Well the Weeride safe front didn't fit either bike as my top tubes are to wide and the head tubes don't 'stick up' enough from the head tube to get the clamp around :(

Thanks for the Hamax tip. I'll check them out tomorrow when I return the Weeride. Are they ok to pedal with and easy to fit and remove?
    Would have preferred the seat in the middle of me and bars rather than behind tho.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or just get a basic hardtail second hand. Presumably no extreme gnarr with an 8 month old baby onboard.

N+1 is always the right answer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Mattcee wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

Well the Weeride safe front didn't fit either bike as my top tubes are to wide and the head tubes don't 'stick up' enough from the head tube to get the clamp around :(

Thanks for the Hamax tip. I'll check them out tomorrow when I return the Weeride. Are they ok to pedal with and easy to fit and remove?
    Would have preferred the seat in the middle of me and bars rather than behind tho.

They are easy to remove, just clip in and out in seconds but there is a clamp that goes round your seat post which is secured by 4 X hex bolts.