Bought me a Bossnut

whyamihere
whyamihere Posts: 7,702
edited May 2016 in Your mountain bikes
Then immediately changed most of the bits. :) Found a voucher code too, so I got it for £900.

IMG_20160423_181326.jpg

IMG_20160423_181421.jpg

Bits I changed:
34T Superstar NW chainring (had to take a link out of the chain to make it work)
Front mech and shifter taken off
Rear mech changed to a Zee
Remaining shifter changed to an SLX one
Brakes changed to SLX
Pedals changed to Boardman flats

Most of the bits were taken from my hardtail, and most of the bits I took off this will be going back on the hardtail to make it more of an XC build.

Next I want a dropper post, probably a better rear tyre and to sort out the stack height. But before that, I should probably actually ride the thing...

Comments

• whyamihere
    First ride impressions are that this bike is a lot more capable than its rider... Climbing's obviously not as quick as my hardtail, but I was quite surprised my how well it did climb and how well it ran on the flats - Not sure if that's down to the suspension or the larger wheels (likely both). Excellent fun when the trail pointed down though.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Pictures aren't working.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • whyamihere
    Cheers, sorted now.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    The front brake hose being routed outside don't look that great, but otherwise a nice ride!
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    Fine looking steed for under a grand!
  • whyamihere
    Kickaxe wrote:
    The front brake hose being routed outside don't look that great, but otherwise a nice ride!

Agreed, I changed that to the other side of the leg, but it was dark by then and I couldn't be bothered to take another photo.
  • whyamihere
    IMG_20160502_182821.jpg

Bought a Reverb and some ODI Rogues, to suit my big man hands. Rear end felt fairly sketchy tonight, so better tyres may be next - I'll probably go tubeless at the same time.
  • TheGava
    TheGava Posts: 220
    Really nice bike, I'm so tempted with one for myself.... What size frame did you go for and how tall are you?. I had a ride around the store on the 19/21 but it's hard to tell which felt best until you hit the trails and they don't have any demo bikes!! Also with your upgrades what's your bike weighing in at??

Enjoy and please post any more thoughts about the bike!
  • whyamihere
    I went for the 19", and I'm 181 cm (just shy of 6'). Feels great out on the trails. As for the weight, I have no idea, I don't own any suitable scales. Should probably get some...
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Was out with a few lads on a ride yesterday and one of them had one of these, they look really good for the price and just need a dropper post even cable guides already on the frame for one.

Just lifting it up by hand didn't seem to weigh a lot I thought, was wrong frame size so couldn't try it out unfortunately.

have you had any issue getting the tyres to seal tubeless, as he said he had a problem and it was down to the valves.
  • What's the seat post diameter? I've got a 30.9 dropper I would want to transfer over. I'm seriously considering this now as my next bike due to reduced budget :(

Plus I can get it C2W which would be a winner!
  • whyamihere
    Seatpost diameter's 30.9, and it has guides for an external hose/cable - Nothing for internal though, so no Reverb Stealths. Got some new tyres for it today, a 2.35 Schwalbe Hans Dampf front and a 2.25 Nobby Nic rear. I've set the front up tubeless, will do the rear tomorrow once the front's held air for 24 hours and I know I've set it up right (first time tubeless). I didn't feel entirely happy pushing either end into the corners - The back washed out a few times and while the front was better, it didn't give as much confidence as I wanted. I'll be giving them a try come the weekend.

swod1 - They don't come set up tubeless, and the rims aren't UST, so the other guy must have bought a valve/rimstrip. If he's having issues, it'll be down to that.
  • Thanks for the info iam! Will be hoping to get a chance to have a look. As my local store doesn't stock them I store, I'm hoping I can convince them to get one in.