Internal Cable Routing Damage

Hedgemonkey
Hedgemonkey Posts: 3
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Anyone experienced damage caused by the routing of internal cables? I've a Wilier Zero 9 Ultra which I bought new 6 months ago. I have some problems will really heavy front mech shifting, the dealer replaced the shifter and from mech under warranty now it's fine. While we were investigating, we noticed the very sharp angle change under the BB. Now it appears that the cable is eating into the frame and chipping away the paint. Anyone else experienced this on other bikes? Any thoughts?

Image here hopefully!

https://flic.kr/p/G6u19G

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    can't believe it's supposed to be like that

i'd assume either the guide is in the wrong position or there's something missing
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Bad design. I would try using a thin plastic straw/tube over the cable, where the cable enter the hole.
  • Taeo1
    Taeo1 Posts: 17
    Crikey, yeah something isn't right there. Although whenever I had any issues with internal cable routing I went to the LBS....That can be someone elses headache!!
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I think quite a common problem. You need PTFE 5m Sleeve, 1.91mm bore.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • My bike, a Beone Diablo Race 2014 also has internal cable routing and the front derailleur cable takes a sharp turn just behind the bottom bracket. It has a tube for the cable to go through, but if you leave it long enough (as I did) the cable eventually cuts through this (because of dirt ingress) and starts to saw through the frame :-(

I suspect there is meant to be a tube of some kind there to prevent such cable rub on the frame. I used some Nokon Teflon Liner on mine and it works fine. Just need to keep an eye on it.
  • btw. your picture looks almost identical to mine, but I have a tube (cable liner) through the frame and into the cable guide.