Looking for 28c-32c slick

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking for a biggish set of slicks/minimal tread for my CX bike (for road/dry dirt use).

I use the CX for CX racing (tubeless wheels/tube less tyres) and commuting/wet rides (clincher wheels/clincher tyres).

Its currently sporting Vittoria Zaffiro Pro 28c, they feel tough, but sluggish and give a bit of dead feeling to the bike.

I really like the Michelin Service Course4 25c I run on my road bike, so the Endurance 28c version maybe an option, but quite pricey.

Also tempted by some Serfa Seca RS's but mixed reviews.

Happy to try something bigger, say 30-32c, but not something that's too bulky.

Can anyone recommend anything? Max £20/tyre.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Not had direct experience of them but the Panaracer RibMo get good reviews as an intermediate type tyre

Available in 28c and 32c of you want

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/panaracer-ribmo ... 60345446uk

Perhaps more of a commuting/urban tyre but they give you the size without the knobbly bits on most CX type tyres so will probably roll better
  • Looking for a biggish set of slicks/minimal tread for my CX bike (for road/dry dirt use).

I use the CX for CX racing (tubeless wheels/tube less tyres) and commuting/wet rides (clincher wheels/clincher tyres).

Its currently sporting Vittoria Zaffiro Pro 28c, they feel tough, but sluggish and give a bit of dead feeling to the bike.

I really like the Michelin Service Course4 25c I run on my road bike, so the Endurance 28c version maybe an option, but quite pricey.

Just a smidge outside your budget, but the Pro4 Endurance are currently 21.99 with a free tube on CRC - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mich ... prod145964
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I've got some Vittoria Randonneur Pro 2's in 32mm (seem to come up as 30mm, even on my relatively wide Revo rims). Did a 70+ miler on them the other day, run at 60 psi I think, and thought they went pretty well.

Have also got some Schwalbe Marathon Racers in 30mm, and they've been good too....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Specialized Roubaix Pro 30/32 - I've impressed with mine..
  • If you can stretch to a bit more, Ribble are doing Schwalbe One 28mm for £24 each.
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    challange strada bianca 30mm is the best tyre you can buy, followed by the 28mm Conti GP4000sII. well these are the best tubed tyres you can buy. Best by my criteria though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • challange strada bianca 30mm is the best tyre you can buy, followed by the 28mm Conti GP4000sII. well these are the best tubed tyres you can buy. Best by my criteria though.

Yes, they (Stradas) seem a fine choice, bit pricey for my current budget. I may save up though.
  • Looking for a biggish set of slicks/minimal tread for my CX bike (for road/dry dirt use).

Just a smidge outside your budget, but the Pro4 Endurance are currently 21.99 with a free tube on CRC - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mich ... prod145964

Decent offer, and I really like the pro service course 4. Do these 28s come up bigger/smaller than expected. Not sure if I need something fatter than 28c, bit would like to try something wider, but not pay the weight penalty. These may be the best compromise.
  • Imposter wrote:

I like the look of these, are they supple or quite stiff-ridigd?

I want something that I would be happy to take on dry dirt roads, but not too taught on the road.

Generally I don't like heavy duty tyres, they just seem harsh to ride on, but appreciate I will need to compromise somewhere.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:

I want something that I would be happy to take on dry dirt roads, but not too taught on the road.

Generally I don't like heavy duty tyres, they just seem harsh to ride on, but appreciate I will need to compromise somewhere.

They're pretty supple, with a reasonable thread count. I'm running mine at around 50-55psi (I weigh about 73kg) and the ride is very smooth. I ride on some pretty rough roads and they cope very well - they also zip along the flat nicely at the same sort of speeds as narrower/lighter road tyres.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

They're pretty supple, with a reasonable thread count. I'm running mine at around 50-55psi (I weigh about 73kg) and the ride is very smooth. I ride on some pretty rough roads and they cope very well - they also zip along the flat nicely at the same sort of speeds as narrower/lighter road tyres.

Thanks for that info.
  • Thanks for all your posts, after much deliberation comparing all of the above, I went for the Spesh Roubaix, based on the size (wanted to go beyond 28c) and with the intension of possibly using the tires off the (dry - rare in the UK lol) beaten track.

The weight weenie in me was concerned with their extra weight, but I think I will appreciate the ride and protection.

The michellin in 28c were a close second, as I love the 25c I have on my road bike and they are light and deadly reliable. Good product.

FYI I paid £25 each for the Spesh tyres but got free tube with each one. They seems to be listed as £25ea at every shop, so this seemed the best option.

I'll post back with thoughts if anyone is interested.
  • First ride out today, massive comfort improvement, run well, not as fast as my 25c on the road bike, but felt good and sturdy despite the rain fall.

As it happens the guy I was riding with was on the Conti Gp 4000s 28c, very similar size when fitted on each bike.