New wide range 11s cassette

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited May 2016 in MTB general
E*Thirteen have just released a 9-44 for use on an XD freehub, looks a good option
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/ethirteen- ... -2015.html
Fairly light (35g lighter than the GX), replaceable in 3 sections (according to some reports, but not that one!) and uses an existing freehub design which all sounds good.

Also a 10 speed version as well.
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Yeah great idea dropping down to a 9T only issue there is cost but, saying that E*Thirteen have always been expensive, maybe we will see other companies following suit which will help pull the price down.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I've been thinking about the 10spd version as a quick fix. I've got an e*thirteen crank and ring upfront so it would be nice to get same at the back. I'm still running the cheepo that came with the bike and I need just a little bit more oomph on the climbs.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • The Rookie
    Sunrace MX3 is a lot cheaper (£54 delivered I got mine for)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    9 speed cogs can have weird felling when pedaling (I think SRAM called it 'polygoning' or something similar). But for occasional use as a range expander it could be worth it.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    Sunrace MX3 is a lot cheaper (£54 delivered I got mine for)

Was that from Charlie the bike monger?
    supersonic wrote:
    9 speed cogs can have weird felling when pedaling (I think SRAM called it 'polygoning' or something similar). But for occasional use as a range expander it could be worth it.

Even 11t is still weird when riding on flat ground.
  • The Rookie
    Yes, CtBM was the cheapest I could find, undercuts evilbay sellers as well.

I must say I've not had an issue with 11t sprockets any bike (MTB, MTB hack bike or commuter on slicks).
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    supersonic wrote:
    9 speed cogs can have weird felling when pedaling.

I've found the same effect using similar pitch chains on machines with 10t sprockets. It ruins efficiency and wears very quickly.
  • supersonic
    Is one reason why some roadies go for a 12t small sprocket rather than smaller.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've always found the 10t on my XX1 'lumpy', wouldn't fancy a 9t.
  • swod1
    went with a few mates to the peak district yesterday and definitely need a wider range cassette as 36 on the back wasn't enough for climbing up some bits but did rather well.

So thinking one of them sunrace mx3 cassettes and a radr cage will be a soon upgrade
  • The Rookie
    Got a Sunrace ready to go on mine, just need to get a chain (converting from 9 to 10 at the same time).
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    Got a Sunrace ready to go on mine, just need to get a chain (converting from 9 to 10 at the same time).

I'm already on 10spd so just a swap of cassette n chain, however wondering if 34t on the front is a little bit big aftyer yesterdays ride.

Are the cheaper sunrace cassettes worth a look or just buy the mx3?
  • supersonic
    The ms3 is decent quality - a bit weightier, but the steel large sprocket will last longer. Just fitted one to a mate's bike with a med cage xt rear mech, works great.