Muddyfox colossus 400 opinion?

Andyn11
Andyn11 Posts: 31
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
Had spotted some carrera models In halfords and really wanted one but couldn't afford them anyway, but ive started a new job and realised that I could now afford to spend enough for a entry level MTB.

So instead of buying the first thing that caught my attention (my usal habit for buying motorcycles) I took some time to actually look around and started comparing the prices and what you're getting set up wise, and came to find that for the money iam spending the muddyfox colossus 400 offers everything I was wanting. Mainly the lock out suspension and 29"wheels and disk brakes

But I've never ridden a muddyfox or known anyone who's had one, don't even think I've seen one in a shop. Which leads me to ask for your good unbiased opinions of how good is muddyfox

I mainly stick to cycle paths with the odd occasional single track / off roading. No big jumps or anything iam a bit to ameture for that and would most likely end up under the bike or in a tree

Current MTB is a claud Butler rock that's about 2 frame sizes to small and has twice the milage of the town bike

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's not great, even at a discount. Fork is particularly bad, no damping.

Muddy Fox used to be great, up until they sold out in the 90s(?). Now they effectively make BSOs for Toysrus type shops.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Good value for scrap. There's a lot of metal in that bike.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Was never worth £550, and at £300 is still pretty heavy. But a lot of that is the fork, a 2.8kg monster of an effort, with no damping and evil top out clank.

Have a look at the Rockrioder 540.
  • Andyn11
    Andyn11 Posts: 31
    supersonic wrote:
    Was never worth £550, and at £300 is still pretty heavy. But a lot of that is the fork, a 2.8kg monster of an effort, with no damping and evil top out clank.

Have a look at the Rockrioder 540.

Nice one! I'll start saving my pennies

Need to decide what I am doing with my old claud Butler rock, it's not worth selling on I don't think. It's pretty rough and old the rear wheel needs a new spoke and re-centered, the suspension needs an overhaul bit still works and paint is flaking from the underside of the bottom tube. I paid £50 for it ages ago so was gonna pass it onto a friend who would make use of it, only issue is one friend who wants it is a lazy ass stoner who would rather spend all his money on weed so he doesn't need to spend money on the bus lol, would rather pass it on to someone who is gonna use it for what it is and could be with a bit of tlc and join me on rides