Choice of climbing and wind resistant wheels-help

288GTO
288GTO Posts: 79
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Hey guys,

Currently I'm riding on the incredible 2016 Zipp 303's. These wheels are incredible until wind picks up and puts the fear of god in me on fast descents.
I've been looking at the following wheels and need help. Thanks!

Zipp 202
Reynolds Attack
Campagnolo Shamal Mille
Fulcrum Zero Carbon
Fulcrum Zero Nite Alloy
Enve 25 Classic Carbon
Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL C
HED Ardennes Black

Comments

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    I thought you had 303's and they were fantastic for all types of riding?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Brilliant. Recommended 303s a few days ago and now wants them replaced!

I'm getting convinced that aero wheels are just an annoyance with all the winds we get in the UK.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    For climbing I would go for a light, shallow rim, preferably with alloy braking surface (you want to have fun coming down rather than worry about cooking your carbon rim).

I currently covet Dura Ace C24's, although the RS81s are also good at a much lower price. There are lots of options around the lower price point, including handbuilt options which will be cheaper to operate in the long run (the Shimano rims aren't the most durable and once worn out the whole wheel needs chucking).

Good luck!
  • 288GTO
    288GTO Posts: 79
    Fenix wrote:

I'm getting convinced that aero wheels are just an annoyance with all the winds we get in the UK.

Who says I want them replaced? I love my 303's but on windy days a lower profile would be a better fit. I just want a second pair of low profile wheels for windy days who also happen to climb well.
    Also I did recommend the 303's as great all around wheels for a guy who weights over 200lbs. Wind should not be an issue for someone that weight. I'm 155lbs.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    288GTO wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Who says I want them replaced? I love my 303's but on windy days a lower profile would be a better fit. I just want a second pair of low profile wheels for windy days who also happen to climb well.
    Also I did recommend the 303's as great all around wheels for a guy who weights over 200lbs. Wind should not be an issue for someone that weight. I'm 155lbs.

Wind is always an issue. To wind our little weight doesn't stop them from blowing you over.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    I tell you where the problem is:

What if the forecast says it's 10-15 mph wind... is it too windy? Is it OK? Is it borderline? On top of the hill it might be more... or maybe not if they are sheltered... What if the amount of climbing is really not that great, but the wind is expected to be at 15-20 mph... what wheels then? Or what if the ride is really hilly, but also flat and there's no wind, what wheels then?

Having a collection of wheels for all weathers doesn't work... it just leaves you with uncertainty and pointless decisions to make.
    I think one for muddy and grimy winters and one for whatever the spring/summer brings along are plenty
    left the forum March 2023
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    And with cycling forecasts are always a bit random. If you're out for 6 hours doing 100 miles then that's a lot of weather you can experience. And it can be fine when you've hedges there. Until you get to the next farm gate.

The first three months of the year was nothing but one storm after another.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    I tell you where the problem is:

What if the forecast says it's 10-15 mph wind... is it too windy? Is it OK? Is it borderline? On top of the hill it might be more... or maybe not if they are sheltered... What if the amount of climbing is really not that great, but the wind is expected to be at 15-20 mph... what wheels then? Or what if the ride is really hilly, but also flat and there's no wind, what wheels then?

Having a collection of wheels for all weathers doesn't work... it just leaves you with uncertainty and pointless decisions to make.
    I think one for muddy and grimy winters and one for whatever the spring/summer brings along are plenty

This ^
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    If you can't handle relatively shallow 303's in a brisky wind, then you may need to work on your bike handling skills......

What's more according to Zipp, Firecrest are 'the best' at handling side winds, which is all cobblers if you ask me, a deep rim is a deep rim.

I ride 48mm Lightweights in all conditions, only when it's REALLY blowing does it become an issue, and I'm 68kg including the bike.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    and I'm 68kg including the bike.

I take you are not a fan of "l'andouijette a la Dijonnaise"
    left the forum March 2023
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    and I'm 68kg including the bike.

I take you are not a fan of "l'andouijette a la Dijonnaise"

Andouillette?! Non, je deteste ca!

But I am partial to Patatas Bravas though! Muy bien!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Are all those choices carbon ? Only ask as I don't know how good carbon brake pads are with alloy rims - I know stuff like swisstop yellow will work with either but are they as good on alloy as the green or blue ? There might also be an issue with getting aluminium in the pads and then damaging the carbon wheels - again whether that is an issue in reality or just in theory I don't know.

Personally if I didn't get on with the 303s and wasn't racing I'd sell them and get something I did get on with like a Fulcrum racing zero alloy as like Ugo says do you really want to be swopping between wheels which might also need adjustment of the brakes and the indexing. I like to be able to grab my bike check the tyres are hard and ride it. I think you risk having one set of wheels sitting there pretty much unused.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    Have you ever ridden your frame with alternative wheels?

Because my Foil is a bit crusty in some side winds whether I have 50mm deep rims or Mavic Ksyrium fitted.

An alternative approach would to just buy one more wheel rather than a pair, put a Zipp 202 on the front and see how that goes.

Paul