Radially Uneven Tire After Tire Change?

rambino
rambino Posts: 45
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Fitting a new set of GP4000 S 2's (25c foldable clinchers) but I'm struggling to get rid of a subtle bulge in the tyre which makes them slightly 'Osymetric', any ideas?

I am using my old 23c inner tubes but I've been assured that that is fine to do.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,164
    sounds like the bead may not be seated in the rim, possibly you've nipped the inner tube between bead/rim

deflate it *now* as if the bead isn't seated the pressure may force it off and the tube will go *bang*

then remove one side of the tyre from rim, put just enough pressure in the tube to stop it sagging (greatly reduces the chance of nipping it) then refit the tyre and inflate slowly watching to see if it's even this time
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    rambino wrote:
    Fitting a new set of GP4000 S 2's (25c foldable clinchers) but I'm struggling to get rid of a subtle bulge in the tyre which makes them slightly 'Osymetric', any ideas?

I am using my old 23c inner tubes but I've been assured that that is fine to do.

Depending on the rim, sometimes the tyre bead pops into place at full pressure. Before this happens, the tyre looks like it has a bulge, or two. But first, check the inner tube as above.
  • rambino
    rambino Posts: 45
    sungod wrote:
    sounds like the bead may not be seated in the rim, possibly you've nipped the inner tube between bead/rim

deflate it *now* as if the bead isn't seated the pressure may force it off and the tube will go *bang*

then remove one side of the tyre from rim, put just enough pressure in the tube to stop it sagging (greatly reduces the chance of nipping it) then refit the tyre and inflate slowly watching to see if it's even this time

This absolutely remedied my problem. Thanks