Brake track depth

Mart74
Mart74 Posts: 111
edited April 2016 in Road general
Hi All

I've just bought some HED Ardennes Plus LT, and on first look the brake tracks on the front wheel looked to be quite different in depth on each side.
I've measured them to check and one is just under 8mm and the other is 8.5mm so not a massive difference but a difference all the same.

I've got some old Shimano wheels that have an 11mm break track, quite a bit more!

My question is, is the brake track deep enough and is the 1mm difference nothing to worry about?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Mart74 wrote:

My question is, is the brake track deep enough and is the 1mm difference nothing to worry about?

I suspect that many of us may not correct your spelling but would find use of the term "Brack" in the title to be slightly jarring. Anyway, I think you worry too much. On the one had you say there is quite a difference in depth and yet, when measured, it turns out to be half a mm. That really is not much of a difference.

You need enough brake track for the brake pads, with a little extra (perhaps a couple of mm) to allow for the odd fluctuation/misalignment. Stick the wheels on your bike, align the brakes, see how it is.
  • Mart74
    Mart74 Posts: 111
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't spot the typo, will try and change it now.

I'll put some pads against them and see what extra is left over. I think it took me by surprise as the shimano wheels they'll be replacing have a much deeper track.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I was riding on some ardennes and few weeks ago, they do have quite narrow brake tracks, just make sure the pads are set up properly and they'll be fine.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Pacenti SL23 version 2 rims have pretty narrow brake tracks FWIW...
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D