Sram right shifter doesn't work

raymond82
raymond82 Posts: 330
edited October 2016 in Workshop
Hello there,

My Sram right shifter stopped working in a way puzzles me quite a bit, hopefully someone here might know what is going on. During a ride a couple of days ago the shifter all of a sudden sort of clicked through, it got stuck in second to smallest cog and whenever I tried to shift it seems to sort of push through.

Today I had a look and it the shifter works fine with the cable loose but as soon as the cable is attached to the derailleur, instead of shifting to a bigger cog the small part that pushes the index barrel up sort of shoots through and the thing stays in place. It is almost as if it doesn't have the strength to pull the derailleur. I changed the cables but this didn't help, also tried with another derailleur and this didn't help either.

Does this issue sound familiar to anyone?

Many thanks!

Comments

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,235
    Shimano would work...

Only kidding ;)
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,235
    Err, one thing. My MTB shifter jammed and I found a tiny stone in the mech.

Just a thought.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Yes, very familiar unfortunately.

On mine the index barrel had broken teeth, but only on the edge so it was not readily apparent when I first looked. When I pulled the thing apart it was quite obvious. Like yours it would seem to work correctly when it was not under pressure from the cable, but when it was 'wired up' it slipped.

The UK SRAM technical centre stated they don't do the index barrel as a spare part. Not impressed.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • +1, probably broken teeth on the ratchet wheel. Once it starts the pawl just digs away and the teeth all crumble.

You may be able to just see the matt grey wheel/cylinder in the mechanism. It has lots of tiny ridged teeth, they are probably eroded.
  • raymond82
    Thanks all!

I had a look at the index barrel and didn't see anything broken, contrary to another set of shifters where the damage was very obvious. Tonight I'll take the shifter of completely to be able to take it apart, I will try to post some pictures to see if damage to the barrel is the cause. I would like to make sure it is the shifter before buying new new ones as this would be quite expensive...
  • sgtj115
    sgtj115 Posts: 3
    Had a similar problem a few years back with SRAM rival shifters. Swapped over on warranty but replacement failed in the same way. Might be worthwhile going back to where you bought them and seeing if they will replace them.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Check that the shifter arm hasn't broken or come loose at the hinge. It happened to me (After about seven years of use)and the sensation was similar to what you describe. gave me the perfect excuse to upgrade to Red :o)
  • andcp
    Garry H wrote:
    Check that the shifter arm hasn't broken or come loose at the hinge. It happened to me (After about seven years of use)and the sensation was similar to what you describe. gave me the perfect excuse to upgrade to Red :o)
    If it's this let me know and I'll send you the parts from mine as spares.
  • raymond82
    Andcp wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    If it's this let me know and I'll send you the parts from mine as spares.

Thanks again, I think I have an idea of what might have happened:

The index barrel looks fine I think:
    IMG_0997_zpseeem1zqm.jpg

However, I noticed the place where the pin that goes through the internals and where it attaches to the shift lever felt a bit loose. It seems like the place the pin passes through is bent or even broken, I doubt that little slit is supposed to be there?

12d24fb4-4248-4fd5-b8d5-4b2e155bc839_zpsg5du2xlk.jpg
    a5bf29a5-a4f8-45c0-8543-dc974007ac14_zpsxafjnpan.jpg

This is very much in line with what you mentioned Garry and indeed fits fits very well with the shifter not being able to pull the derailleur. Instead of pushing it through it simply slide past. I happen to have another shifter laying around with a broken index barrel, I'm going to open that one up now to see if I can use that shift lever.

Thanks anyway, I doubt I would have noticed if you hadn't pointed out this could be the issue!
  • andcp
    Raymond.

That is b*gger*d! The lovely fracture faces are the give-away.....but the index barrel looks fine.

Hope your other shift lever parts work.
  • raymond82
    Andcp wrote:
    Raymond.

That is b*gger*d! The lovely fracture faces are the give-away.....but the index barrel looks fine.

The other shifter parts work indeed, interestingly I couldn't fit the other lever in my current shifter (too narrow) but the index barrel did fit in the older one. Both shifters were Force but pretty old models, I'm still considering buying new ones. I'll be riding two hilly/mountainous sportives in the coming weeks and if something like this happens during one of them I'm very much screwed.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Mine broke forty miles from home :cry:

Glad you found the problem
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    raymond82 wrote:
    Andcp wrote:
    Raymond.

The other shifter parts work indeed, interestingly I couldn't fit the other lever in my current shifter (too narrow) but the index barrel did fit in the older one. Both shifters were Force but pretty old models, I'm still considering buying new ones. I'll be riding two hilly/mountainous sportives in the coming weeks and if something like this happens during one of them I'm very much screwed.

If your broken shifters are 10 speed, take the advantage and buy 11 speed shifters as your derailleurs will work as 11 speed. Just add an 11 speed cassette.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • raymond82
    Garry H wrote:
    Mine broke forty miles from home :cry:

Glad you found the problem

That's really screwed up, mine broke with 20 km to go but all flat so it was a minor problem...
    philthy3 wrote:
    If your broken shifters are 10 speed, take the advantage and buy 11 speed shifters as your derailleurs will work as 11 speed. Just add an 11 speed cassette.

This is something I contemplated for a while as 11 speed shifters are even cheaper. However I use a Marchisio cassette which is built up of interchangeable cogs and I would have to buy a new spacer set and some new cogs. Plus a new chain, all and all it would be quite some extra money. And actually I think I'm ok with 10 speed
  • andcp
    Just looked mine again.....it's got the same failure in addition to the trashed index wheel! I'll stick with Shimano from now on....
  • raymond82
    Andcp wrote:
    Just looked mine again.....it's got the same failure in addition to the trashed index wheel! I'll stick with Shimano from now on....

It has to do with bad luck too I suppose, I have some Rival shifters from 2007 that are still working fine. One broken set of Force shifters I bought came on a second hand cyclocross bike and the other set I bought second hand. The ones that broke last week were the ones I bought second hand, I wonder if they were already broken somehow. When the issue forst occurred, it's not like I pushed the lever extremely hard.
  • +1, probably broken teeth on the ratchet wheel. Once it starts the pawl just digs away and the teeth all crumble.

You may be able to just see the matt grey wheel/cylinder in the mechanism. It has lots of tiny ridged teeth, they are probably eroded.

Apologies, I was wrong. Looks like they fail in other ways. Hope you find a fix.
  • raymond82
    +1, probably broken teeth on the ratchet wheel. Once it starts the pawl just digs away and the teeth all crumble.

Apologies, I was wrong. Looks like they fail in other ways. Hope you find a fix.

Well, to be precise I did see some damage on one of the grooves but it doesn't affect shifting (yet)...
  • benali
    benali Posts: 49
    Mine just gone! Exact same part as shown in the photo, the bracket has fractured in the same places, obviously a weakness in the design. So is this component available does anyone know?
    I'm guessing not and its a case of trying to salvage one, is this componet common to LH & RH?
  • raymond82
    Sorry to hear that! I don't think they're available separately, you can check the spare parts catalogue here:
    https://www.sram.com/service/sram/3,6

It could be that local bike shops can get their hand on it, otherwise you might be able to find spare parts on ebay? I have to say I tried combining two broken Force shifters form different years (both old) but it didn't really work, the mechanism is the same but some parts are slightly thinner or thicker which made for a wobbly shifter. Had to buy new ones in the end...