Specialized Sirrus Year and Spec

littlepaws
littlepaws Posts: 31
edited April 2016 in Commuting general
I cannot seem to find the year and spec of my Specialized Sirrus?

I tried the the Specialized Archive and still cannot find it?

The forks all seem to be different mine has a outlined s with cr-mo writting through it.

Also I have the serial number but apparently you cannot check spec via the serial number.

Seem to be so many different verions of the sirrus

Can anyone help?

Comments

• He are the images

IMG_5876.jpg

Image on front fork
    IMG_5875.jpg

writing on frame
    IMG_5874.jpg

front gears
    IMG_5873.jpg

Back Gears
    IMG_5872.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I think the Bike is a mongrel, the Sirrus never came with that most basic rear mech, also I think they are too new for a Nexave front mech, also the crankset looks pretty old (Exage?).

Fork and frame may have originally been on the same bike....or not.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    2009 Sirrus Sport came with a Nexave, was A1 premium aluminium, cro mo fork, and was black. But other parts look to have been nicked from other bikes - the Spec Sirrus came with an attractive Sora Crankset and Rear mech, and chromed stem.

However the frame on the 2009 was much more curved and graceful. 2006 and earlier were the straight and solid frames. It's a Heinz bike - a proper mongrel; but in reality who cares if it works
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    2006 not only came with Nexave - it had a suspension seat post and the s/cro-mo logo on front fork
  • The sirrus is a really comfy bike guess it is a bit retro now.

Your probably right its either the 2006 or the 2009 sirrus

my road bike is: (only comes out in dry weather and store in the house) immaculate

giant_defy_3.jpg

Giant Defy 3 Aluminum Frame
    Upgrades from original spec:-
    Giant Carbon forks
    Italian Gipiemme T-Quattro 30 wheel set (light weight wheels) 700x23c
    Continental Ultra Sport with slime inner tubes
    Triple crank (21 gears)Shimano RD-2300 Rear Derailleur
    Shimano FD-2303 Front Derailleur
    Shimano ST-2300 / 2303 Total integration gear set.
    FSA / Tempo chain / crank set
    Rubar Race seat
    Look KEO spd race pedals
    2x Elite Aluminum bottle cages.

But Im getting older and prefer the more comfy hybrid flat bars.

My options are:

1. Sell both and buy a hybrid (if the newer sirrus hybrid are a lot better than the one I already have?)
    2. Sell the Specialized Sirrus and convert the Giant Defy 3 to Flat bars
    3, Keep the old Specialized Sirrus and just sell the Giant defy 3

Any suggestions?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If everything works on the Sirrus I'd keep it and just improve it as you go, starting with the rear mech and possibly the front (looks like it's been stored in the sea).

My commuter hybrid is a 2005 Carrera Gryphon frame, nothing else is original (headset is off another 2005 Carrera though), did 1400 miles commuting just year for just £30 in replacement parts. Weighs in at a handy 9kg (before rack, guards and 4Kg pannier!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • THanks for the advice "The Rookie"

Your right the sirrus is stored in a lockup, its just a workhorse really but really comfy

THe giant defy 3 is super quick and for longer fitness rides in the dry weather

Sounds like the you got a good balance with your bike.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    How much money have you got to spend ...

I love the Sirrus frame (my wife has one) and would gladly strip it down and replace the parts.
    New bar grips, new groupset (gears & brakes) and new wheelset - possibly new seatpost and saddle - depends if there's anything wrong with it - away you go.
    TBH, I doubt you'd get much for either bike - SH prices for bikes are pretty dismal - probably worth more to you and although you'd spend more than the bike would fetch on new parts you'd get what you wanted and still on a good frame.
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    The frame looks very similar to my Sirrus (base spec) (still used as a rat bike to go to the pub or train station), which I bought in 2001 or 2002, IIRC. The wheel are what I ended up with after I had problems with the stock ones so I would guess that they upgraded the rims the following year? So, I would guess at 2002 or 2003.

_
  • Took to a guy in the shop he thinks it the 2006 and the only part that has changed is the rear mech
  • For the specialized Sirrus can anyone recommend a rear mech?

I guessing from research i need a long type mech also shimano

Also these tyres are 700 x 28 can they be replaced with more reliable tyres for track riding

I have the specialized all condition tyres fitted not sure if these are suitable

for this type of track
    img_0901.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The rear mech choice will depend on what you're doing with the rest of the bike. I think it's currently 8 speed - and with a 32-11 cassette you'll need a medium length rear mech to pull up the slack

If you change that then the choices change.

Tyres wise - any tbh - cyclocross tyres are fine