Should I buy a Electric Mountain Bike?

i_am_jon
i_am_jon Posts: 32
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
Been rocking my budget Voodoo Bantu hardtail for the last 6 years. Used to manage 80km / week but have hardly ridden over the last couple of years. Having heard some rave reviews of electric mountain bikes and the spring weather has sparked my enthusiasm to get riding again.

I prefer to ride the local area rather than trail centres. Plenty of great routes around; from Huddersfield I can ride out to Marsden, Holmfirth, Meltham etc.. Problem is I'm a unfit 39yo with the knees of a 50yo and it's very hilly round here. Even when I was fitter I still found the hills a limiting factor in where I could go (40km with 800m accent was about my limit for a afternoon ride).

They cost a fair bit but I can afford a budget HaiBike (or even a Specialized full suspension at a push). The idea is it would get me back into riding to work and out more at weekends. It should allow be to tackle more hills leading me to new places and more fun. All while still getting a reasonable workout. Mostly ride on my own these days but will also come in handy keeping up with my now athletic 19yo son when his around (was so much easier when I was 34 and he was 14.

So is it worth the investment? Should I stick to a budget model or go all out? or should I stop being so lazy and just get a real bike?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm a 50 odd year old with the knees of a 110 year old.

Buy a bicycle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Obviously getting fit will improve many areas of your riding - but that is not to say an Ebike is not suitable for you. If it can take you to places that you would not otherwise get to because of injury, then could be the right choice. As you say, you can still use them to improve fitness too. The problem is the cost: £1900 or so for the basic HaiBike would buy a very light hardtail which may help you go further anyway.

I am in the same boat - 38, knees hurt, underlying medical condition. One would certainly help me go further and stay out longer.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At 49 and with dodgy knees as a result of a car accident, I just work on staying as fit as I can and not giving in to it, fortunately my knees are OK when riding, they just hurt when I stop.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I see electric bikes the same as electric cars. It'll take a desperate situation before I'd consider either.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Hi,

I don't think that you should look at it as an investment but in saying that if you do choose to buy one do not go for the budget item because of the risk. If you are uncertain about the sunk cost that would be involved in getting one then don't spend any money on an ebike at all - because you are uncertain. Hopefully all son's and not just yours turn out to be 19 - or whatever age they need to be to thrash you on a bike - too bad - finding someone else to ride with even if it is yourself solves that. People commenting on addressing the fitness are taking a good perspective. If your local hills are too steep then change your enquiry to what bike rack to get and then go out and find somewhere a bit flatter than the magnificent environs of Huddersfield - which in fairness is a tough area for biking for the best of us (...best of you that is) let alone someone with a 'bad knee'. I've done that and can now go where I want rather than restrict myself to the local area.

Good luck.

Oh yes and a towbar with a towbar mounted rack is my recommendation for getting around but talk to the insurance company - even if it is just to inform them.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    POAH wrote:
    yes buy one if you want

Is the correct answer. OP doesn't need permission.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    He wasn't asking your permission, he was asking for opinions.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    cooldad wrote:

why does he need the verification of his peers?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Man up and get fit. You'll be glad you did in the long run. And, if you're consistent/regular in your approach you'll be amazed how quickly the fitness comes along. Properly amazed. I'm 53, not in the best of shape and my knees feel the strain. I also have badly torn shoulder muscles at the moment. Doesn't stop me. Just do it!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Angus Young
    POAH wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

why does he need the verification of his peers?

He doesn't need "verification" nor permission. Nor did he ask for either. He asked for opinions. That's what he's getting.
  • i_am_jon
    The knees are a bit of an excuse really.

I just want to overcome the fitness hurdle of getting back into riding and go further, higher and up steeper inclines than I otherwise could.

It really is a very hilly area right in the middle of the Pennines, long 5-12% climbs are unavoidable. 10 minutes in any direction and it's a 200m climb back home. You need to be a fit hill climber to get anywhere otherwise your stuck following canal paths. The plus side is there are some great tracks around, just a matter of getting to the top of them.

p.s. Maybe just me but I think driving somewhere to ride is also a bit of a cheat.
  • Forget listening to what others say about cheating etc, Its all about having fun and if you feel you'll go out on it more then you would on a normal bike and have more fun then you will of made the right decision.
    The great thing about them is you go down a lovely section and think im going to do that again and off you spin up again as in the past you might of thought ill leave it and continued on with your ride.
    Commuting you get to work quicker, your learn to spin as the electric bike works more efficently when in a lower gear plus no cost for petrol, parking etc
    I know someone whos got a Haibike xduro all mtn and will easily do a 3-4hr ride now compared to a 2hr one before and says he gets up sections which he wouldnt of done in the past then goes down them lol
    Dont know why in the uk its seen such a bad thing to ride one.
  • markhewitt1978
    Cycling isn't *all* about fitness, it's also about riding your bike and for that does it matter if you've got a little bit of a helping hand?
    p.s. Maybe just me but I think driving somewhere to ride is also a bit of a cheat.

I often think that, it's more of an achievement to have reached somewhere when I've started from my house. But then it often does mean I'm riding the same 20 mile stretch of road just to get to the 'start' of the ride. Much of the time that 20 miles would be better done in the car, but then you have the hassle of getting the bike and all the stuff in and out of the car plus all the time driving is time not spent riding.
  • Angus Young
    bluemoon81 wrote:
    Dont know why in the uk its seen such a bad thing to ride one.

Pushbike. Clue's in the name.
  • Ed_P
    Ed_P Posts: 12
    Both my father and are are keen cyclists and this is currently something of a contentious issue between us, to say the least! :lol: He receently told me that he was considering splashing some cash on an electric mountain back as he is looking to get back into cycling after not having done it for a while due to a nasty kneee dislocation.

For me cycling is all about keeping fit and a sense of achievement but I can understand where he is coming from and at least he is getting back out there again after all these years of sitting in front of the TV all weekend. He got me to go along to a local showroom with him and they cost a bit more than I expected :? , for example http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/ ... bikes.html he seems set on getting himeself one and my mum is encouraging him as well but I get the impression that he is reluctant psychologically to ride a proper bike agian. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I would love for me and him to go cycling again properly.
  • markhewitt1978
    Pushbike. Clue's in the name.

If you're pushing it, you're doing it wrong.
  • i_am_jon
    Feedback on here is more positive than I was expecting.

Looking at the HaiBike SDURO HardSeven SL. Bit on the cheap side but the frame and Yamaha motor look pretty solid, the rest can always be upgraded if needed. Can't really justify the cost of a decent full suspension like the Specialized. Not going to be doing anything too extreme on it anyhow. Will see if I can try one out at local dealer this weekend.

Sure I'll get some stick for it, but worth it to get me out more and tackling climbs I couldn't otherwise do.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Please let us know how you get on.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    i_am_jon: You should do whatever is best for you.
    That's it. The end. :D
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Angus Young
    JBA wrote:
    i_am_jon: You should do whatever is best for you.
    That's it. The end. :D

I don't think he needed you to tell him that.

As for the idea that e-bikes are cheating - is it any more of a cheat than using the uplift at a trail centre? I don't think so.