Is it possible to go tubeless on Neutron Ultra wheels ?

hill_climb
hill_climb Posts: 6
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
So I picked up some new tires last weekend (The new Vittoria Corsa G+ in 23mm). When fitting for the first time I would have to say that they were by far the toughest tires I have fitted. I've since read that they can be run tubeless or with an inner. I have the inner fitted. I wouldn't want to have to carry out a roadside repair on these because of how tight they are.

It got me thinking about tubeless a bit more than I have done so far. I run Neutron Ultra wheels and I know they are not intended as tubeless, but I started to wonder why that is. Would anyone care to pitch-in here? Is it a no-go for Neutron Ultras and tubeless?

By the way, going from Schwalbe Ultremo's to the Corsas, you really do notice the change in ride quality that others have reported.

Comments

• JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    Going tubeless with Neutron isn't a problem. Going tubeless with regular road tyres will be the issue. Two problems: getting the tyre to air seal, and safety. Tubeless tyres have more rubber around the bead to keep them firm in the rim hooks out higher pressure.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Once the tyres have been fitted for a while they should loosen up.

I hope. Got some Evo CXs on my wheels and wrote off 3 inners fitting them, and I would class myself as an above-average spanner monkey.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I broke two tyre levers trying to fit Vittoria Open Corsas to a pair of Neutrons. Veloflex Master went on fine. Reason was that the Vittorias were, irrc, about 6mm smaller in circumference than the Veloflex.......
    Faster than a tent.......