new tyres issue

ynvygy
ynvygy Posts: 7
edited April 2016 in Road general
Hello,
Yesterday I've bought some Maxxis Detonator 700x28c tyres from a local shop, because my old Kendas (also 700x28c) were pretty beaten up. I got home and noticed these aren't what they are supposed to be. They are indeed marked with the label and also have the 700x28 inscription on them (pictures 1 & 3), except on the inside they have a '23' written on them (picture 2). When i've installed them on the wheels, i've noticed they are clearly visually thinner than my old tyres, so i've measured them, and yes they are 23mm. Now the problem is .. according to the Maxxis website, the 23mm doesn't even come in black. So the question is, is this a manufacturing fault or are these fake ? Has anyone encountered this issue before ?

Pictures - http://imgur.com/a/e55Z5

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not sure why anyone would want to fake a tyre as mundane as the Maxxis Detonator - but if you are not happy with them, or they are not what you were expecting, simply take them back..
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    ynvygy wrote:
    Hello,
    Yesterday I've bought some Maxxis Detonator 700x28c tyres from a local shop, because my old Kendas (also 700x28c) were pretty beaten up. I got home and noticed these aren't what they are supposed to be. They are indeed marked with the label and also have the 700x28 inscription on them (pictures 1 & 3), except on the inside they have a '23' written on them (picture 2). When i've installed them on the wheels, i've noticed they are clearly visually thinner than my old tyres, so i've measured them, and yes they are 23mm. Now the problem is .. according to the Maxxis website, the 23mm doesn't even come in black. So the question is, is this a manufacturing fault or are these fake ? Has anyone encountered this issue before ?

Pictures - http://imgur.com/a/e55Z5

Maybe an old model. Take em back anyway.
  • ynvygy
    it's not as easy as -take them back anyway-, because if they are fake indeed, then this raises a big question about the quality of products the store sells. Also, they can get it back from me and resell it to someone that's clueless or doesn't notice. So i'm a bit confused about how to approach the situation, i mean it can simply be a fabrication error, in which case the store isn't guilty
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If there were sold as 28c tyres but are in fact 23c tyres then take them back. Then get some decent quality tyres from a reputable bike shop.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I think you're slightly paranoid. Take them back for a refund. They could just be a different year model, hence the colour.

As said above, why would someone go to the trouble of forging a cheapish tyre?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    ynvygy wrote:
    it's not as easy as -take them back anyway-, because if they are fake indeed, then this raises a big question about the quality of products the store sells.

Ask yourself why on earth anyone would bother going to the trouble to produce fake Maxxis Detonators. That's got to figure pretty highly on anyone's list of 'pointless things to do'....
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    28mm means nothing. I have fitted 28mm 4 seasons to mavic open pro's and they measure 26mm just. Gators skin 28mm on some rims are barely 25mm. On wide rims the 4 seasons 28mm are just about 27mm. GP4000sII tyres on the other hand are wider than advertised on wide rims.

The same goes for all tyres of all makes and models. The bead to bead distance of different 28mm tyres are very different. It could be a mislabelled tyre from the manufacturer but more likely the 23 inside has nothing to with width. It could be you have very narrow rims and the tyres are on the small side (i.e short bead to bead distance). Also how did you measure. tyre width should be done with a vernier caliper if you want the measurement to be accourate. If done with a ruler your 23mm could actually be 25mm and that is what I would expect from a detonator on a narrow rim.

Nothing wrong with the tyre. It is just you take the 28mm width literally but it will actually depend on the rims you are using. They are all of different widths. On narrow rims the only 28mm tyre that comes up as advertised is the conti GP4000sII. In fact 28mm tyres are really meant to be fitted to wide rims only for this reason as narrow rims just dont do them justice.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ynvygy
    I had 5 different cheap Kendas and Rubenas before on this bike the past few years, and all of them were 700x28, and all of them measured pretty much 28mm on the ruler. Thus I don't see how these rims can affect these Detonators in such a way, The reason i've picked these is because i've seen 2 23mm Detonators sets on 2 different bikes, so i went for the 28mm, only to my surprise to see that they look (and measure) exactly the same
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Apparantly only the 28s have wired bead, so if your's have wired bead they are 28s, according to the Maxxis website, all the 23s have foldable bead. I can't really see in your images any numbers, but the 23 on the inside may be a red herring and could be a QC stamp or something? I agree that it is unlikely anyone would fake these tyres, might just be old stock.
  • ynvygy
    They are wired just like the maxxis website says they should be.
    I thought it was a stamp too initially, until i've installed them and noticed they are exactly 23mm and identical to the other 2 sets i've seen, which made me think 'why was there 23 written on the inside ?'
    I can already say that if these are not fake and the size is a fabrication thing, that i'm more disappointed in them than some Rubena V70 set i had that blew up after 32kms (front tyre) and 38kms (rear tyre)

Thank your for the opinions guys !
  • cycleclinic
    I work in a bike shop well run one and have measured many different tyres on many different rims. I can assure you the same tyre on rims of different internal width makes a difference and that tyres of the same nominal width on the same rim come up at different widths.

I have measured more than two tyres the key is the bead to bead distance. Oddly enough being a mechanic I might have insight here.

It maybe the denoator is just a dissapointing tyre that has been known. Maybe it was never 28mm measure the bead to bead and compare to another 28mm tyre and to a another 23mm tyre and see which it is closer too. that will tell you.
  • ynvygy
    Hey !
    I don't understand what you mean by 'measure the bead to bead'. Do you mean have them taken off and compare/measure them ? I can already tell you that the Detonator is clearly smaller as well. When the salesman first gave them to me, my reaction was 'are these it ? aren't these too small ?' and he reacted with 'tyres are just different, this is what you asked for'.
    Also i do have to point out at this time, that i have 2 different rims, one is a vintage one (front) and the rear one is a cheap one rimerx or something brand, and the tyres look exactly the same on both - that's why i said that i don't see how a rim can change the way it looks.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    a sh it tyre that cost £15 and you getting wound up about it?
    Why dont you just get Wiggle's own brand for £7 ?
  • cycleclinic
    It is the internal width of the rim that makes the difference to tyre width. If bith your rims are the same internal width they will have the same profile. Put the tyre on a wider rim and it profile width and height changes.

Bead to bead distance (with the tyre flat if possible when measuring) controls the profile of the tyre along with internal rim width. It is pretty simple when you get your head round it. I am not suggesting that you measure it is just this is how to compare tyre widths not looking at the sidewall and thinking these are both 25's as tyre are not equal.
  • Alex99
    JGSI wrote:
    a sh it tyre that cost £15 and you getting wound up about it?
    Why dont you just get Wiggle's own brand for £7 ?

Please try to be less of a snob. No one asked for your opinion on whether the tyre meets your standards or not.
  • ynvygy
    Ok guys -update .. thanks for the opinions first of all !
    Due to the fact that there was no clear sign of them being fake and if i were to take them back i would have added Maxxis to my black list forever (Rubena is sitting there alone still) + the store, i've decided to give them a shot and see how they feel. Personal first impressions (note that some may be the cause of them being 23mm and not 28mm - i've also measured the beads and compared it to some friend's 23mms - and they are just identical)
    Positive points :
    -pedaling is easier
    -top speed is higher

Negative points :
    -the acceleration (especially from 0/standing) is horrible
    -the bike loses speed way faster (although the top speed is slightly higher)
    -the installation was a nightmare

*Comparison made with the old Kenda K176 tyres (oh yes and those are actually around £6-7...)

Guess their durability will have to save their skin. Thanks again !
  • Alex99
    ynvygy wrote:
    Ok guys -update .. thanks for the opinions first of all !
    Due to the fact that there was no clear sign of them being fake and if i were to take them back i would have added Maxxis to my black list forever (Rubena is sitting there alone still) + the store, i've decided to give them a shot and see how they feel. Personal first impressions (note that some may be the cause of them being 23mm and not 28mm - i've also measured the beads and compared it to some friend's 23mms - and they are just identical)
    Positive points :
    -pedaling is easier
    -top speed is higher

Negative points :
    -the acceleration (especially from 0/standing) is horrible
    -the bike loses speed way faster (although the top speed is slightly higher)
    -the installation was a nightmare

*Comparison made with the old Kenda K176 tyres (oh yes and those are actually around £6-7...)

Guess their durability will have to save their skin. Thanks again !

Not sure I follow how you've determined that they're faster, but also lose speed faster, slow to accelerate, but easier to pedal... but just get on and ride I guess.