New Rear Shock

Dawesy92
Dawesy92 Posts: 606
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
Right so I'm in the process of giving my bike some much needed tlc, wanting to get a new shock while the bikes away being painted up, not sure what to go for? Currently on my remedy is the stock fox Float DRCV? Think that's right?

I'm wondering weather to send it off to TF tuned and have it kashima coated? And possibly a new air can? Or do I go the whole hog and get a new shock? The size from what I'm aware is 197*57.

So I know bin limited on shocks, unless I get some 3mm offset bushings and move up to the 200*57 more common size, problem is no don't know what shock I'd want!! Thinking either fox again or possibly cane creek.. I like the fox now just for the CTD modes....

Any advice??

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you getting a new air can and a new Kashima coated shaft, you may as well just buy a new shock!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dawesy92
    The Rookie wrote:
    If you getting a new air can and a new Kashima coated shaft, you may as well just buy a new shock!

What shock would you suggest? I like the sound of CCDBA with CS but not sure if it would fit a 2014 remedy....
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Options are pretty limited due to trek using proprietary sizing on their shocks. You can't tune or change the air can on the stock DRCV so options are limited to a service. I wouldn't bother paying to upgrade to kashima coating either unless this is part of a new shock package.

So alternative options are:

1. Rockshox offer the Monarch in Trek sizing and necessary hardware to fit the Remedy. You can get this tuned, use bands to reduce bottoming out/ make the spring more progressive if required.

2. Buy a 2016 Fox ReActiv shock that comes on the current Remedy and Fuel models. You can't tune this shock but I does work very well from the time I spent on one last year and is far superior to your current DRCV shock. Small bump is excellent, pedal platform is great and can handle bigger hits very well. It's worth a Google to get the info on the tech behind it. Make sure you get the 2016 version as this was modified to be able to take volume spacers to help prevent bottoming out if you are hard on the shock. The 2015 version with the bigger dome on the top of the shock, like your current shock, does not accept it.

3. Retro fit another manufactures shock using offset bushes. Far more risk involved but in theory any decent engineering firm would be able to do this if you supply them the frame and chosen shock. There are few posts in the trek thread on pinkbike on a few owners that have done this plus I have seen a few Remedy frames with the Fox DHX2 coil shock installed. I think the biggest issue you may find though is that fitting a different shock to the 27.5" frame may cause clearance issues. All the retrofits I have seen tend to be on 29er Remedy frames now.

Personally I would go with option 1 or 2 only as 3 opens a potential can of worms. If you didn't have an issue with the CTD shock then definitely go for the ReActiv shock option as its everything the DRCV should have been.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • toys19
    toys19 Posts: 90
    With limited options I would be tempted to go with option 4.
    4. Do as you suggested and get TF tuned, Loco, or Mojo to upgrade/tune/rejuvenate it.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    you can fit a 200x57 shock without any issue although you will change the geo slightly. The problem is with the hardware to fit the shock to the rocker. I'd probably just go with the made for trek monarch plus and get it tunned.
  • Dawesy92
    Options are pretty limited due to trek using proprietary sizing on their shocks. You can't tune or change the air can on the stock DRCV so options are limited to a service. I wouldn't bother paying to upgrade to kashima coating either unless this is part of a new shock package.

So alternative options are:

1. Rockshox offer the Monarch in Trek sizing and necessary hardware to fit the Remedy. You can get this tuned, use bands to reduce bottoming out/ make the spring more progressive if required.

2. Buy a 2016 Fox ReActiv shock that comes on the current Remedy and Fuel models. You can't tune this shock but I does work very well from the time I spent on one last year and is far superior to your current DRCV shock. Small bump is excellent, pedal platform is great and can handle bigger hits very well. It's worth a Google to get the info on the tech behind it. Make sure you get the 2016 version as this was modified to be able to take volume spacers to help prevent bottoming out if you are hard on the shock. The 2015 version with the bigger dome on the top of the shock, like your current shock, does not accept it.

3. Retro fit another manufactures shock using offset bushes. Far more risk involved but in theory any decent engineering firm would be able to do this if you supply them the frame and chosen shock. There are few posts in the trek thread on pinkbike on a few owners that have done this plus I have seen a few Remedy frames with the Fox DHX2 coil shock installed. I think the biggest issue you may find though is that fitting a different shock to the 27.5" frame may cause clearance issues. All the retrofits I have seen tend to be on 29er Remedy frames now.

Personally I would go with option 1 or 2 only as 3 opens a potential can of worms. If you didn't have an issue with the CTD shock then definitely go for the ReActiv shock option as its everything the DRCV should have been.

From what I've read I can get the vorsprung (however it's spelt) air can for my shock as it says the DRCV option in there website, but I have seen on pinkbike others running difference shocks on the 27.5" version, the main being the Fox X2 air.. plus just asking but I thought you could have the stock shock tuned??

Sorry if I came across arsey in this post... :)
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    You can tune a stock CTD shock but not the DRCV so a service and the larger air can would be the only option. I'm not sure how the DRCV tune would react to the larger can being installed either.

No doubt you can pop the X2 air shock on it but it won't be a straight swap. Could give mojo a call and see if they do any hardware kits to make it fit.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Dawesy92
    I would have guessed that it'll just be a case of some offset shock bushings? 3mm offset to amount for the 3mm eye2eye? I could be wrong though!! Thanks for your input though!!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I know a couple people using the Cane Creek DB coil on Remedy's.
    If you buy from TF Tuned they can change the eye to eye length of the shock. I think most other shocks are fixed length. The new CCDB coil also has the climb switch.
  • Dawesy92
    I know a couple people using the Cane Creek DB coil on Remedy's.
    If you buy from TF Tuned they can change the eye to eye length of the shock. I think most other shocks are fixed length. The new CCDB coil also has the climb switch.

Oh right, that's cool to know, I get the feeling a coil shock would look out of place in the remedy though, I could be wrong, but cheers for that, as it's an idea!!