First "proper" tubeless puncture, gash on tyre, what now?

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited April 2016 in Road general
So I have to admit I have been tempting the puncture gods for a while now about how I've never had a tubeless puncture and then today I got one, hissing and spitting of sealant but stopped eventually but then started up again so I stopped to have a look. Removed a sizeable shard of flint or something and rode on. Hissed and spat a bit more a few times when bumpy but generally held air and only went down to 80psi (from 90ish) by the time I'd finished my ride so pretty happy.

Now the question is what to do with the tyre, it's a pretty obvious gash (pic below) and it's obviously not sealed firm if it's still hissing and spitting a bit. I've got some of the puncture repair "anchovy" things, is that the answer? Or a patch on the inside? Or bin the tyre?

They're Schwalbe Ones, done about 1200 miles according to el Strava so unsurprisingly they've cut up but they were doing "OK" up to now.

Any thoughts? Cheers.

U8Scpqn9Svwptgy35-DBz2Kl0gdibxhDOA-tMEEuvk8-1383x2048.jpg

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    the tyre is worn and squared, throw it away
    left the forum March 2023
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Yep, a tyre patch from Hutchinson wold seal it but it's hardly worth the faff now. Bung a tube in while you wait for a new tyre
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • munkster
    the tyre is worn and squared, throw it away

Squared? How do you work that out from that angle? It is pretty round in profile... Or are you just going by the mileage? I can see that it looks dusty on the central portion but as I say it's round in profile. Or is that term a figure of speech?

I am entirely likely to get another pair of tyres (and ride the winter bike in the meantime, CBA with tubes) but just wondered what others would do with it. I guess I know now!

Edit: and as for "worn" these tyres looked like they'd got nicks out of them after one ride if I recall rightly!

Edit#2: here's a pic - I'm just interested in whether this IS what constitutes "squared"...

round.jpg
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    looks fine, the first pic makes it look badly squared off but i think that's just due to the angle/lighting

you could stick a patch or, or tyre boot in it plus a tube, and carry on riding - as long as the tyre doesn't bulge at the cut when fully inflated as that's a sign of a damaged carcass
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    There’s nothing wrong with a squared-off tyre anyway. They are very flexible things and are always square at the contact patch regardless of their shape elsewhere.
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    Stick a patch on the inside. Clean out the sealant and scuff it up with some sandpaper. Apply three layers of rubber solution, letting each dry, then the patch.
    I ran a Hutchinson Fusion with a cut like that for another 2k miles. Just fine. Although I wasn't confident enough to use it for anything important. And I put it on the back and checked the cut wasn't spreading every time I pumped up the tyres.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    stanthomas wrote:
    Stick a patch on the inside. Clean out the sealant and scuff it up with some sandpaper. Apply three layers of rubber solution, letting each dry, then the patch.
    I ran a Hutchinson Fusion with a cut like that for another 2k miles. Just fine. Although I wasn't confident enough to use it for anything important. And I put it on the back and checked the cut wasn't spreading every time I pumped up the tyres.

If I had no confidence in the tyre, worried about which ride I could or could not use it and felt the need to specifically check a section before every ride anyway then I would just consign it to turbo use and buy a new one. Plenty of bargains to be had.
  • munkster
    Where have you seen bargain 25mm tubeless tyres out of interest? Genuine Q and the sticky thread is becoming a little unwieldy... They appear to be rare as the proverbial!

I doubt I'd get Schwalbe Ones again but equally can't find my other current preference which is Hutchinson Fusion 3 which I know is being replaced with Fusion 5 at some point...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    If it holds air, just ride it... the wound is sealed
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    As above - if its sealed then its fine and ride it. If not, bin it and buy a new one.

Is this tyre on the front or back? If on the rear its likely to be fairly well worn, if on the front will have some miles in it.

I just binned my Schwalbe One Tubeless tyres with about this mileage on it, the rear started leaking between the tyre and rim so I bought a set of IRC roadlites and will not look back. Brilliant tyres.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Mantas
    Mantas Posts: 33
    now you have to get back to clincher :)
  • munkster
    now you have to get back to clincher

...and why on earth would I want do that??

If only it were as simple as "if it holds air..." - it does hold air; it has held 90psi overnight no problem however when I rode it after the puncture it was holding air fine but then briefly hissing and spurting sealant if going over a bump or whatever. So, it does and it doesn't...

I fully appreciate the black and white approach of "if it's not sealed, it is broken, throw it away" however these aren't £15 bargain basement tyres are they? If I can carry on riding it with an appropriate fix then I will clearly prefer to do that. That's what I was asking really; what was that appropriate fix if it exists? If it really doesn't then fine!
  • Mantas
    Mantas Posts: 33
    they were expensive and shiny when they were new...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    new tyre. TThe problem with the one's is they cut like this pretty easily. Your lucky it took 1200 miles. I have had the same after a few hundred km. This is why I go to the trouble of bringing in something else
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    munkster wrote:
    now you have to get back to clincher

...and why on earth would I want do that??

If only it were as simple as "if it holds air..." - it does hold air; it has held 90psi overnight no problem however when I rode it after the puncture it was holding air fine but then briefly hissing and spurting sealant if going over a bump or whatever. So, it does and it doesn't...

I fully appreciate the black and white approach of "if it's not sealed, it is broken, throw it away" however these aren't £15 bargain basement tyres are they? If I can carry on riding it with an appropriate fix then I will clearly prefer to do that. That's what I was asking really; what was that appropriate fix if it exists? If it really doesn't then fine!

Sod it then, try a patch. I dont see why this is such a big deal. The patch kits are cheap. Bung one on and you'll still have 4 or 5 spare for the next time you re unlucky. Keep an eye on it as it will slowly spread and "hearneate" so I woldnt start the tor de france on it, but that will do a few months

To patch or not to patch, that is the question, but jaysus it's not a headscratcher....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    If it holds air, just ride it... the wound is sealed

+1

I've had 2 gashes like that in the past and the latex sales both. No problems afterwards.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Mine one's like the OP's keep loosing air somtimes as the old hole opens up. The problem is there are about 10 old holes. time I changed them I think.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    I would patch unless I had any worries about the structure of the tire, have a look at the inside and see if the threads are badly cut.

I ran my last Schwalbe ones down to the canvas over 3-4k km. When I inevitably punctured I couldn't even get the tire to re-seat on the rim the beads had become so flabby (ok with a tube though).
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I would take it off the wheel and flex it to flare the cut thereby enabling me seal the gash with superglue, then patch it on the inside. Remount, refill with sealant and ride it for another few 000k :)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D