Beginner MTB Model

Chizz
Chizz Posts: 4
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys,

I’m looking to buy a mountainbike in the 400 – 500 euro range, a good starter bike I would say.

I’ve read about the Calibre Two Two being a very good choice, but (some of) the Decathlon bikes are supposedly good too. I live in Germany, and no shop around here sells the Calibre Two Two, so I’ll have to order it online.

The issue with that however, is that I’m +/- 190 cm, and the largest frame size is 20”, which (according to their sizing) pushes the limit, and kind of puts me in the 21” frame. Given that I’m not able to test-ride it, I’m a bit hesitant ordering it.

I’ve read that the Decathlon mid 500 series are a good choice too: (https://www.decathlon.de/mountainbike-2 ... 50454.html)

Could someone tell me how these stack up to each other, and if one is really that much better than the other (especially in what aspect)?

Looking to hear your respones! :)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The 540 and the .22 are arguably the best bikes around at this price point, is little between them. Height wise both will easily fit you - but will they be long enough? it is hard to say without you trying them.

What local stores do you have, and what do they stock?
  • Chizz
    Thanks!

There are a lot of small local shops here + Decathlon, that each has a rather limited range of brands.

Available brands +/- : Cube ; Giant, SERIOUS, Btwin
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Cube's, Giants and well, basically any of the big brands are usually poor for this cash. Not heard of Serious I shall take a look. *goes off to take a look*.

I found this for 500 Euros:

http://www.serious-cycles.com/produkt/s ... -ball-275/

And it looks pretty bad! Poor fork, V brakes and low level kit put it firmly in the leisure MTBing category - the value just ain't there.

What you could do is try some MTBs and compare the effective top tube lengths to the Calibre and BTwin/Decathlon bikes.
  • Chizz
    Thanks, I'll make sure to do so.

As far as the length, what are the things I should specifically look at ? What is considered too long / too short, and how will I notice if it's too long / short or right?