Garmin edge 25 or 500

MICHELIN
MICHELIN Posts: 12
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Could anyone tell me if the Garmin edge 25 or 500 has an odometer that keeps the total mileage you have done in its memory even if you reset your trip,mileage before a ride so that you know what the total mileage you have done on your bike is. Reason I'm asking is because I fancy one of these computers that works off satellites rather than have a magnet on your wheel. Cheers

Comments

• hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    I just returned Edge 25. Lovely little computer but unfortunately it doesn't do the most basic and so far its not fixed.

I have the Garmin 800 and thought I would want something small and light so the 25 was the toy to chose.

But then I found out that it has a fault and that is while it is on Sat mode (anything other than indoor) then it would completely ignore the speed sensor. In their forum it was a problem that's picked up in December and so far it hasn't been fixed.

You might think its not so bad right?

Well it is really bad. My normal commute route for five years I got data for all of them and without the speed sensor it will give a very wrong reading. When in sat mode only it is a very rough estimate when you are stopped and when you start moving and it is not instant unlike when speed sensor is in use.

So without the sensor the computer will register 570 Calories burnt and 12 Miles but with Speed sensor it is 850 Calories above and 13.1 miles. Forget the calories but I know for sure my journey is 13.1 miles and with speed sensor it is dead accurate and without then it is not. Garmin works great when both is being used and in Sat mode is should still use the speed sensor (their own brand sensor btw).

So for them to get it so wrong is unforgivable. I wouldn't recommend the 25 to anyone.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    MICHELIN wrote:
    Could anyone tell me if the Garmin edge 25 or 500 has an odometer that keeps the total mileage you have done in its memory even if you reset your trip,mileage before a ride so that you know what the total mileage you have done on your bike is. Reason I'm asking is because I fancy one of these computers that works off satellites rather than have a magnet on your wheel. Cheers

When you record your rides on a Garmin you can then upload them to a website/app called Garmin Connect. They will then be stored there (even if you then clear the history on your device itself) so you can see your total mileages for the last week, month, year etc together with lots of other data.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    MICHELIN wrote:

I've got the the Edge 500 and confirm that it will do that and for several different bikes as well. The only issue that I found is that you have to be careful what historic data you delete from the device (or how you delete it) as it can also delete those miles from the odometer (ie. total miles ridden) as well. Unfortunately, I haven't got access to mine at the moment and without being able to look at it, I can't remember what delete commands you have to avoid but it's simple enough to do.

Sorry, I have no experience of the Edge 25.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    hsiaolc wrote:
    ..... So without the sensor the computer will register 570 Calories burnt and 12 Miles but with Speed sensor it is 850 Calories above and 13.1 miles. Forget the calories but I know for sure my journey is 13.1 miles and with speed sensor it is dead accurate and without then it is not. Garmin works great when both is being used and in Sat mode is should still use the speed sensor (their own brand sensor btw).

So for them to get it so wrong is unforgivable. I wouldn't recommend the 25 to anyone.

That's strange because I bought an Edge 25 last week and ran it alongside my Edge 800 on Sunday on a 90km ride. Distance was the same and much to my surprise the calorie estimate was within a hundred calories of the Edge 800 that was connected to a power meter. Quite impressive I thought. Auto pause should affect the time riding, not distance. I've never had an issue with GPS distance on any Garmin device provided you wait until it has acquired satellites fully before moving.

But the Edge 25 is missing 'features' that should be standard even on a fairly basic Garmin. It's ANT+, but can't be used with a power meter (even just to collect data without doing elaborate metric calculations). That's odd. And it records using smart mode only - 1 second recording isn't available like it is on most other Garmin devices. That's fine for road, but makes it useless for mtbing. And you can't set wheel size manually for a speed sensor - you have to ride for a mile in a straight line before you can use the sensor which is just daft.

If Garmin were to update firmware and make power meter support and 1 second recording available (as well as fixing the existing bugs) then it would be an amazing little thing.

The live track and phone notifications are nice features to have as well that the 500 will never have because it doesn't have bluetooth.
    More problems but still living....
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If your unit is over a mile out on a 13 mile ride then something is seriously wrong. Auto stop/start does cause some innacuracies but we are talking a few feet at most, maybe a tenth of the discrepancy you quote. Unless you are riding long distances at under 0.5mph
  • hsiaolc
    apreading wrote:
    If your unit is over a mile out on a 13 mile ride then something is seriously wrong. Auto stop/start does cause some innacuracies but we are talking a few feet at most, maybe a tenth of the discrepancy you quote. Unless you are riding long distances at under 0.5mph

Well there was some road works in the city and I had to walk it (stupid decision) but anyway it was a long walk and while all that time it recorded 0mph!! I am sure I was going at 2mph. With the speed sensor even 1mph will show correctly.

When I used the 25 on the way home it recorded 13.1 Miles with 750 calories because I tried using the mode Indoor.

Reason calories are out because GPS turned off and so it doesn't take into account of elevation (I have a few climbs on the way home) and hence the difference.
  • balb0wa
    balb0wa Posts: 32
    The garmin edge 500 is brilliant still, to say how old it is, it still holds its own. I think a lot of pros still use it as well.

It might not have bluetooth or mapping, but the battery is good. I picked one up from amazon last year brand new for £80
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Well there was some road works in the city and I had to walk it (stupid decision) but anyway it was a long walk and while all that time it recorded 0mph!! I am sure I was going at 2mph. With the speed sensor even 1mph will show correctly.

When I used the 25 on the way home it recorded 13.1 Miles with 750 calories because I tried using the mode Indoor.

Reason calories are out because GPS turned off and so it doesn't take into account of elevation (I have a few climbs on the way home) and hence the difference.

This is probably due to 2mph being lower than the threshold at which the 25 starts sensing/recording movement. I would assume the "indoor" mode doesn't have any stationary threshold so will record at slow speeds.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • hsiaolc
    drlodge wrote:
    hsiaolc wrote:

This is probably due to 2mph being lower than the threshold at which the 25 starts sensing/recording movement. I would assume the "indoor" mode doesn't have any stationary threshold so will record at slow speeds.

If it worked with the speed sensor (which it should) then it shouldn't not be having the 2mph threshold. I have the 800 and I am sure it is not supposed to work that way and you can see the people in garmin forum waiting for this glitch to be fixed since December!!
  • balb0wa
    balb0wa Posts: 32
  • MICHELIN
    MICHELIN Posts: 12
    Cheers guys I bought the 500